Do class notes actually help for MCAT prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyes124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys throw away your notes and stuff from your prerequisite classes after the semester ? Idk if I should throw them away or keep them to study for the MCAT? I think that it probably wouldn't matter to much for MCAT prep since the prep books have most of what you need to know. Also if I plan to take the MCAT in the spring, when would be the best time to study ? I'll be having classes in the fall and spring so I don't know when I'd find time

Members don't see this ad.

There's no downside to keeping your notes for an extra semester. The review books are pretty general so maybe you'll get confused by a problem/concept and can refer back to your school notes for clarification. I personally would study this summer, during winter break and take a light course load in spring so you have time to review throughout the semester.

Personally I never referred to class notes and did well. Very low yield.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only time that I used my notes was in prep for the psychology/sociology section. Neither of the prep books that I used did a great job of covering all the material last year so I flipped through my notes after taking the only AAMC practice test. It did help then, but I am assuming the prep companies did improve their material for this section by now.

I don't even look at my class notes for exams, let alone the MCAT. The stuff you learn in class is way more detailed than what's on the MCAT, so if you're looking at your notes you're probably going to waste your time learning stuff you don't need to know.

Reactions: 1 users
Class notes are useless for MCAT study. In my case for example in physics, my teacher skipped over some stuff that was relevant for the MCAT, but covered some stuff that was irrelevant or too detailed for the MCAT.
Just check out prep books, pick the one that works for you, and focus on that material.

I used my biochem notes which imo were much better than the prep books back then but tossed out all other notes. I'm sure the prep books are better now so you may not need notes

Reactions: 1 user
Class notes were marginally useful, but were mostly useful for physics if I saw a similar problem before.

My chem/biochem notes are handouts, organized by topic, using a "fill in the blank/graph" style. The prof has 20 years of perfecting these handouts and they're worth their weight in gold to me. I'm only speaking for myself, but it helped me review biochem.

I would keep Charts/Tables of concepts/definitions, so when you see it covered on one of your Prep Books you already have handy notes for it, e.g. Amino Acids.

Do you guys throw away your notes and stuff from your prerequisite classes after the semester ? Idk if I should throw them away or keep them to study for the MCAT? I think that it probably wouldn't matter to much for MCAT prep since the prep books have most of what you need to know. Also if I plan to take the MCAT in the spring, when would be the best time to study ? I'll be having classes in the fall and spring so I don't know when I'd find time

119.jpg

I used my biochem textbook for synthesis / metabolism pathways and making amino acid flash cards to re-memorize them and their properties. Other than that, didn't touch the stuff.

Reactions: 1 user

I literally never look at notes again as soon as I step out of a classroom.

Just get review books for MCAT and dump all your old stuff. You don't need any material from college, but don't be cheap and skimp out on review books for MCAT. $200-300 is a drop in the bucket if it means a good score.

Take an MCAT full length practice test so you get a baseline (many books will come with 1 or 2 free with their purchase), then see what you need to focus on during MCAT prep.\

Edit: On when to prep for the MCAT given the timetable you've given yourself... I don't know. Maybe others on here who took MCAT during undergrad can chime in.

I don't even look at my class notes for exams, let alone the MCAT. The stuff you learn in class is way more detailed than what's on the MCAT, so if you're looking at your notes you're probably going to waste your time learning stuff you don't need to know.
Do you think the prep books did a good job reviewing the material ?