Do Clinical Pharmacists have to get Malpractice Insurance?

Started by MuraRX
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MuraRX

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious. It would make sense, but have the insurance companies caught up with the evolving role of pharmacists?
 
Just curious. It would make sense, but have the insurance companies caught up with the evolving role of pharmacists?


Some places offer it with your employment. It generally isn't enoguh, though. Check with Pharmacists' Mutual.
 
Yes, liability insurance is usually a part of employment, but if a pharmacist is sued and the employer doesn't take the pharmacist's side - he/she may be out of luck. Every pharmacist should maintain their own personal coverage. It's not expensive.

Liability coverage is a good idea for everybody in litigious America, whether a pharmacist or not.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The question is, why wouldn't you? It usually costs a little over 100 bucks a year and the peace of mind helps you sleep at night.
 
The question is, why wouldn't you? It usually costs a little over 100 bucks a year and the peace of mind helps you sleep at night.

I have a liability policy as a technician/intern. Since I'm older/have more personal possessions/etc. than the average technician, I figured in the very very remote possibility I was named in a lawsuit I had more to lose.

I actually would have never thought of this until I went to a conference a few years ago, and heard a lawyer speak who had been involved in several cases where the plaintiff included the technician in the lawsuit as well as the pharmacist.
 
I have a liability policy as a technician/intern. Since I'm older/have more personal possessions/etc. than the average technician, I figured in the very very remote possibility I was named in a lawsuit I had more to lose.

I actually would have never thought of this until I went to a conference a few years ago, and heard a lawyer speak who had been involved in several cases where the plaintiff included the technician in the lawsuit as well as the pharmacist.

My pharmacology instructor for the CPhT program I was in said generally they will name anyone who touched the scrip/med depending on where the error was deemed to have taken place. If the med was prescribed due to error by MD it will go all the way from the MD to the CPhT. If it scrip was written correctly but filled wrong the CPhT and PharmD usually get stuck with it, in addition to their employer (hospital/retail/etc). So yeah, I'd definitely say get as much as you feel necessary, and then kick in a little extra for good measure.