Do community college grades matter for medical school?

Started by Judoka1113
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Judoka1113

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a 3.43 at the community college and have taken almost all my prereqs there; however, I plan to transfer to a 4-year university soon and finish a degree in human bio. I heard that most medical schools don't look at your community college GPA and that it is a good idea to take science prereqs at the university level, but since I am majoring in human bio I'll have 12 biology classes to take at the university level. Will medical schools mostly evaluate me on my performance at the university level courses or will they take into account my community college GPA? Which medical schools care only for university grades?
 
I got a 3.43 at the community college and have taken almost all my prereqs there; however, I plan to transfer to a 4-year university soon and finish a degree in human bio. I heard that most medical schools don't look at your community college GPA and that it is a good idea to take science prereqs at the university level, but since I am majoring in human bio I'll have 12 biology classes to take at the university level. Will medical schools mostly evaluate me on my performance at the university level courses or will they take into account my community college GPA? Which medical schools care only for university grades?

Yes, they'll look at your community college grades. But they like to see upward trends, so rock your university classes! :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They certainly look at it and from my experience CC grades are not necessarily looked down upon. I finished almost all my pre-reqs in a CC and i did just fine 🙂 keep up the good work and best of luck!