DO Couples match question- Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anguscrimm

Fun furry guy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Me: DO going for Psychiatry.
Her: DO going for PM&R.

Us: Met in 1st year, nothing but heartache since. :mad:

(kidding) :D We're engaged.

Problem: The PM&R programs typically require a PGY1 Year, and Psych doesn't. So even if we successfully couple match, she will match as a PGY2 and I as a PGY1, leaving her to find a PGY1 Year either somewhere near me (preferable) or far away.

This would be fine if she could find one in the same area, but if not, it would mean we spend our first year of being married in different cities, something we would like to avoid. She's only considering DO Transitional Years right now because she thinks they will be less competitive to fill and she will have a better chance matching.

Options as I see it:

1) Since DO match is in Feb, she could match in one area for her transitional year, say Philadelphia for example, and then we would only rank Philadelphia programs or ones near the area.

Concern: Does anyone think this is too risky ranking only one region and will decrease our chances of not matching, forcing us to scramble later and ultimately be in different cities?

2) We attempt to couples match as planned before, in 2-3 regions, hope for the best, and then she will scramble for a transitional DO spot AFTER the MD match because we will know where we will be, which will be like 3-4 weeks later I think.

Concern: Are there any spots left after this length of time, and will there only be really rigorous programs left?

This has all been pretty stressful and we've even thought about switching specialties so the logistics would work out better. Any thoughts or advice or info anyone has to offer would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks!

LT & NL MS4s

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.