DO debate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbella

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, in the Allopathic forum, there is a DO/MD debate that is becoming a bit heated. As a prospective medical student, I am sickened by this. I feel like everyone is constantly trying to make the 2 letters after their name carry more weight than others. Have we forgotten what we are doing this for? Where has everyone's passion for medicine gone?
Medical schools, DO and MD, look for applicants that will "mesh" well with their school environment. Of course MCATs and GPAs must come into play but overall they want to bring together a class of medical students that they feel will best benefit from what their school has to offer. The difference of a few points in GPA represent a difference in teachers, family circumstances, basically luck of the draw.
In my case, as I prepare to apply to schools next year, I just see the osteopathic schools as providing that environment that is best suited for me. This may sound nieve and idealistic but I hope that osteopathic medicine will provide a more innovative path that involves questioning tradition and constantly revamping treatments to better the patients. I can't picture that as well with traditional MD schools. I don't want to be put through a factory just to become exactly like the guy next to me. I have way too much to offer.
Again, this may be a bit nieve but it is just my impression as of now.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't sweat it. In the real world, the difference between DO/MD is not a big issue. The only time I ever run into such discussions is on this board...usually in pre-allo.

I agree that schools (DO & MD) tend to pick students that fit into their environment.

This debate shall continue ad nauseum. Even if one were to truly study & understand the development of the two professions, no objective, definitive conclusions could be made.

Here are some very broad-based, sweeping opinions of mine, after experiencing two years of osteopathic education:

1.) The IDEAL of osteopathic education is SLIGHLY superior, because it includes an additional modality that MD schools do not... WITHOUT compromising on other courses. (Caveat... the IDEAL isn't always present.)

2.) The premedical Academic standards are SLIGHLY superior in MD schools than DOs, meaning the students at DO schools are, on average, less academically qualified. The biggest factor for this is the perceived premed notion that "DOs are discriminated against", or some variation. (NOTA BENE... NEVER, EVER, EVER has it been shown that premedical academic superiority = better physician.)

3.) The "osteopathic philosophy" was at one time a very innovative, unique way of approaching the patient. The osteopathic world no longer holds a monopoly on this viewpoint. There are MDs that are more "osteopathic" than some DOs (rf. Dr. Andrew Weil, MD). There are many allopathic schools now teaching courses on alternative medicine, and all now teach a "biopsychosocial" model (read: Body, mind, spirit).

4.) In the real world, it don't make a whole lick o' difference, with very few exceptions.

My final opinion would probably chastize me from the "Osteopathic Elite", but I hold it nonetheless.

I LOVE manipulation... I LOVE the philosophy... I LOVE KCOM (I mildly like the town of Kirksville)...

HOWEVER... My ideal would be to have Osteopathic schools keep their identity, keep their philosophy, keep their modalities, but grant the MD degree. Could this ever happen? That's a whole different can of worms, and I ain't gonna go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
whoohooo! a thread that (hopefully) won't turn into a DO bashing arguement! :) I've been following along with the other "debates" and all they've done is left a bad taste in my mouth. (I applaud those who have posted information and have kept an open mind throughout the whole thread :clap: )

AviatorDoc - most of your broad sweeping generalizations are mine as well. Thanks for posting them.

I fear that it was I who started the heated debate. I probably acted a bit immature. In all honesty, I was not trying to provoke a fight, I was only trying to bridge the gap that seems too deep and wide on this forum. No harm meant although I did act impulsively. I just do not take kindly to people, especially pre-meds and ignorant medical students, insulting my profession and colleagues. I am proud of the osteopathic profession despite all of its imperfections and growing pains. The osteopathic community produces some of the finest, competent, compassionate, and clinically astute practitioners in this nation.