Do dental schools accept students who have pursued or earned a BSN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

napnemeanix

Reaction score
Hello, everyone

At the moment I'm extremely exhausted from the community college. I've been at it since Fall 2019.
Thinking of maybe pursuing a BSN, working as a nurse for a few years, and then pursuing dental school later on. Once I build more healthcare knowledge off a career.

I have graduated in Spring 21 with an Associate in General Studies Degree at my community college. Finished all those tiring generals and prerequisites. Decided to pursue a second Associate degree in Associate in Engineering Science. I will wrap up my AES degree in Summer 22 maybe.

My AGS degree ate up 72 Credit hours and all the old courses from my first degree managed to transfer to my current AES degree. I didn't have to take English 101 and 102 transferred easily plus other courses to my second associate degree without consuming time.

I have taken
Basic Chemistry 1
General Chemistry 1 and 2
Physics 1 and 2
Calculus 1,2,3, College Algebra, Statistics,
English 101, 102
Differential Equations, Linear Algebra

All those courses I mentioned will transfer to a BS in Biology, I have spent hours researching and comparing course codes and transferability, I won't have to take Calc 1 and 2 if I pursue a BS in Biology if I decided to pursue that program.

But I feel dental schools might frown upon a student who has a different degree and not a BS in biology? I mean there are people who apply to the police academy and have different bachelor's degrees that get accepted.

My friend has a BS in Biology but went back to get her AAS in Dental Hygiene.

I want to work after getting my BS degree since being unemployed gets very boring. Need to save up on a car, home, and money in case I have to pay out of pocket for courses.

The only requirements I'm missing are probably Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 since those are needed, or maybe 1 is enough.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, everyone

At the moment I'm extremely exhausted from the community college. I've been at it since Fall 2019.
Thinking of maybe pursuing a BSN, working as a nurse for a few years, and then pursuing dental school later on. Once I build more healthcare knowledge off a career.

I have graduated in Spring 21 with an Associate in General Studies Degree at my community college. Finished all those tiring generals and prerequisites. Decided to pursue a second Associate degree in Associate in Engineering Science. I will wrap up my AES degree in Summer 22 maybe.

My AGS degree ate up 72 Credit hours and all the old courses from my first degree managed to transfer to my current AES degree. I didn't have to take English 101 and 102 transferred easily plus other courses to my second associate degree without consuming time.

I have taken
Basic Chemistry 1
General Chemistry 1 and 2
Physics 1 and 2
Calculus 1,2,3, College Algebra, Statistics,
English 101, 102
Differential Equations, Linear Algebra

All those courses I mentioned will transfer to a BS in Biology, I have spent hours researching and comparing course codes and transferability, I won't have to take Calc 1 and 2 if I pursue a BS in Biology if I decided to pursue that program.

But I feel dental schools might frown upon a student who has a different degree and not a BS in biology? I mean there are people who apply to the police academy and have different bachelor's degrees that get accepted.

My friend has a BS in Biology but went back to get her AAS in Dental Hygiene.

I want to work after getting my BS degree since being unemployed gets very boring. Need to save up on a car, home, and money in case I have to pay out of pocket for courses.

The only requirements I'm missing are probably Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 since those are needed, or maybe 1 is enough.

What do you think?
it doesn't matter what your degree is in...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
and your point is different from mine how?
I'm just happy a person can get any degree and still go to dental school. I thought students were forced to stick to one degree that meets the merits for dental school such as Biology or Microbiology.

I'm really relieved to hear the good news.

Reactions: 1 user
You can major in Folk Music if you’d like. As long as you finish all prerequisites and the rest of the application, you have the same chances as the rest of applicants

You can major in anything, but a science-y major tends to help since you'll have seen the material once before vs. seeing it all brand new in dental school.
However for this point, you'll need to take both OC courses and the lab. Only taking 1 does not satisfy requirements. You'll also need General Biology 1&2 + lab, and lab for Chem 1&2 (I didn't see it on your list).

You can major in anything, but a science-y major tends to help since you'll have seen the material once before vs. seeing it all brand new in dental school.

However for this point, you'll need to take both OC courses and the lab. Only taking 1 does not satisfy requirements. You'll also need General Biology 1&2 + lab, and lab for Chem 1&2 (I didn't see it on your list).
I left out more details for the courses, I was busy in my college course and have finals tomorrow and Thursday.

At the moment just need a job; have some plan expanses in life.
yup you can get an intermediate job for now.

while becoming a nurse as an intermediate job could work, its probably easier to do dental school instead of being a nurse first.

you can even consider working in a dental office, plenty are hiring over the country

Thanks for the information :)

Do you have an updated version on their website? of what's needed and what's not needed.

I left out more details for the courses, I was busy in my college course and have finals tomorrow and Thursday.
Okay; I was just commenting on what you provided and how you need 2 semesters of Organic Chem, one won't be enough
there are links at the bottom of @artist2022 sig line, but for some reason, they are not clickable for me
They should be clickable now, I think there was an issue with toggle since my sig was somewhat long

Reactions: 1 users
You can major in Folk Music if you’d like. As long as you finish all prerequisites and the rest of the application, you have the same chances as the rest of applicants
1639815913037.png

Happy the ADEA has this into too :)