Do Dental students smoke ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok.. I don't think people get rejected because they smoke and I'm not saying quit smoking if you smoke, but to whomever said cops smoke weed and they catch people for weed doesn't relate this job.... A cop can smoke and drink while driving and bust people for drinking and driving, but are we the ones who pick our police? NO. Are we the ones who get to choose our dentists, though? YES. So I think it's up to the person to make the decision o whether or not they'll go to a dentist who smokes.

The government doesn't pick who fixes our teeth, we do.

Members don't see this ad.

Research what drinking Coca Cola and eating the ocasional chocolate bar does to you! Or that table spoon of salt on your homefries!

Lets all live a life exempt of luxuries and condem ourselves into a robot-like society because of the things it will do to our bodies? Rest well knowing that everything you do kills you in a sense and quite frankly you are dying by the second..

People that DONT smoke and smell... why don't we complain about them?

What about all the scientists that made advancements in what we know to be science today? Half of them did a variety of drugs much worse than nicotine and marijuana.... Lets not trust them and throw out their scientific theories because of the drugs; their credibility now amounts to nothing?

Jease... you're probably the type of person that thinks drug addicts that are homeless are also good for nothing and failures at life with no credibility too right? I hate to say it my friend but you have seen nothing in life and are really just a product of your parents and have clearly lived a sheltered life. I can only hope that one day, reality ****s on you.

Btw, you should be embarrassed at your lack of experience in life and how close-minded you are...

What does this have to do with anything? People have a choice to pick their dentist, and I personally would not go to one that smokes. Why am I being close minded? Would it be shallow of me to not pick a fat personal trainer over a fit personal trainer?

With your amazing life experience, please explain what do drug addicts that are homeless have anything to offer society, besides taking my spare quarters?

Last edited:
What does this have to do with anything? People have a choice to pick their dentist, and I personally would not go to one that smokes. Why am I being close minded? Would it be shallow of me to pick a fat personal trainer over a fit personal trainer?

With your amazing life experience, please explain what do drug addicts that are homeless have anything to offer society, besides taking my spare quarters?

lol cops that smoke weed? that ones doesnt make sense. im sure some do it but thats totally illegal (its not like dentists smoking cigs.)

i agree about the fat trainer. id never go to a fat one i wouldnt trust him. but then again with a dentist i dunno if i would care if they smoke or not. plenty of doctors smoke. The difference between a trainer and dentist is that its more important to practice what you preach for a trainer since he is in charge of getting you to be in shape. Meanwhile, a dentist is not in charge of having you quit smoking, he is simply in charge of fixing your oral problems. So I dunno if I would stop going to a good dentist just because he chooses to smoke. But then again how would I know if he smokes? When does a dentist have time for smoke breaks anyway?

I dunno this question is semi-moot to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does this have to do with anything? People have a choice to pick their dentist, and I personally would not go to one that smokes. Why am I being close minded? Would it be shallow of me to pick a fat personal trainer over a fit personal trainer?

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a choice, the point was it doesn't necessarily mean the dentist is not as qualified as one that doesn't smoke, or vice-versa. It has nothing to do with that at all.

And would you really be sayin the same thing if it was one of your family members sittin on the corner beggin for quarters? Really... you don't have love for people or care about them, clearly... everyones got a past and a story that's been ina situation like that. I know kids that watched their father's murder they mother, one kid watched his dad blow his brains out... Not everyones got the same life ... you can't judge someone else based on your life.

Then again, your NY ... not to hate on yorkers but it doesn't surprise me that you have this mentality. Are really all your concerned about is what people contribute to society? Is that all life means to you? And based on that solely, you depict who is useful and who is useless?

Mr.A ^: my point was that it contradicts what they are preaching. Like a dentist should promote good oral health, smoking would compromise this. A cop should serve as a mentor for youth and provide protection and safety for all... and they end up infringing our rights and unlawfully beating the piss out of us... That was more of my point. How can you put someone in jail for trafficking drugs when you do them and buy them from a drug dealer yourself.. doesn't make sense. Or how can you ticket someone for being on a cellphone when you are reading your computer screen and nearly sidewiping cars next to you while you imput plate numbers... The whole point that cop promotes is safety, I saw a cop hold a guy once and let another dude smash him for no reason and then charged the guy who got beat up for assaulting a police officer.. Only adding to this, a guy stabbed a guy I knew to death at a bus drop in broad daylight down the street from my house, buddy got released on bail 2 days later... how is this safe? Then you got people who snitch on someone (happened to me) and I got the police report WITH HIS NAME IN IT! Meanwhile the cop will tell you, "don't worry we will protect you, you will be ok... " till they get what they want out of you and then they don't give a **** what happens...

And it's ok... 99% of people I meet don't agree with much I have to say! lol
I feel this is going off on a tangent though so I'm gonna leave it at this.. everyones got their own opinions. I've been living and providing for myself on my own since i was 15 years old... so we probably won't think the same things about life, also I knew a lot of homeless people and served them at a food bank and knew them a lot since I used to hang around downtown.. so I have had experiences that obviously influenced my opinion..
I'll keep my mouth shut from getting myself into deeper waters.

Last edited:
I'm not saying there shouldn't be a choice, the point was it doesn't necessarily mean the dentist is not as qualified as one that doesn't smoke, or vice-versa. It has nothing to do with that at all.

And would you really be sayin the same thing if it was one of your family members sittin on the corner beggin for quarters? Really... you don't have love for people or care about them, clearly... everyones got a past and a story that's been ina situation like that. I know kids that watched their father's murder they mother, one kid watched his dad blow his brains out... Not everyones got the same life ... you can't judge someone else based on your life.

Then again, your NY ... not to hate on yorkers but it doesn't surprise me that you have this mentality. Are really all your concerned about is what people contribute to society? Is that all life means to you? And based on that solely, you depict who is useful and who is useless?

i dont agree with 99% of your thoughts, but i do agree that dentist's ability is not impeded by his smoking habits. unlike a fat trainer, who probably cant do his job.

Not arguing with you on this point. Dentists who smoke or not do not affect their ability to practice. But I do believe that as a health care provider, you are expected to be a role model in promoting good health. If two dentists are just as competent in their profession, I would choose the one that did not smoke. It's a personal choice.
That's unfortunate that where you're from, you've witnessed things that have I've only seen in horror movies. But for me, having compassion for someone who went through a hard life is not the same as having compassion for a dentist who smokes. You seem to tie it all together.

If you're an emergency room doctor, and a ***** came into the hospital, then the next second, the President comes into the hospital, and you can only save one person, would you treat the ***** or the President?

For me, I would let the ***** die. Because I would rather let her die than the President die. Am I being closed minded for not putting them on equal footing?

If you're an emergency room doctor, and a ***** came into the hospital, then the next second, the President comes into the hospital, and you can only save one person, would you treat the ***** or the President?

For me, I would let the ***** die. Because I would rather let her die than the President die. Am I being closed minded for not putting them on equal footing?

I hear you on that one, but what if that ***** was your mother? Then, to the rest of the world you would be expected to save the pres. but would you really save the president and let your mother die? I guess it really is just a question of ethics, and more situational than anything. I was going off on a tangent before.... got a lot on my mind I guess, back to studying!

I hear you on that one, but what if that ***** was your mother? Then, to the rest of the world you would be expected to save the pres. but would you really save the president and let your mother die? I guess it really is just a question of ethics, and more situational than anything. I was going off on a tangent before.... got a lot on my mind I guess, back to studying!

If given a choice, I don't think any son would want his mom to walk the streets at night for money anymore. :)

Wow this is the most ridiculous hypothetical situation I've seen in a while haha

I would save my mother. In the end, I believe all people will give preferences for people they know on a personal level. If I had a choice to let 5 strangers die or let my mother die, I would choose the former.

@ all those bashing the fat trainer, I had a fat trainer and it was awesome.

@ all those bashing the fat trainer, I had a fat trainer and it was awesome.

a fat trainer wont make you feel guilty after you eat too much. he's probably fatter than you.

Damn...Seems ppl got a little sidetracked here...lol

To me personally, I havent seen a Dentist or Doctor who smokes yet...
And if they did they prolly do it on their own time and not around work, during work etc

To me personally, I really wouldnt care if the Dentist smokes as long as He does his job rite..
but if he smokes rite before work and Im his first patient rite after he smokes..I really wouldnt want that Cigg breath/Smell around me while im being checked upon...

Call it a Double Standard or whatever, its just my opinion. A dentist can smoke and drink but deff has to be done on his own time and not during his work time

Now quiting smoking is whole diff story, one which the dentist should noe better and actually quit since he/she is screwing up his life by doing it...

If the ***** is paying cash, and the prez has govt insurance then the ***** is my patient.

did he feed you burgers?

i'm hungry..

No, he did not feed me but a lot of burgers lost their lives after training sessions.:D

What if the ***** was Paris Hilton? Would you save the Prez or Paris knowing that there would be a nice "reward" afterwards from Paris?