Do Dental students smoke ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just Was wondering If You know of any Dental students who smoke or any students who get rejected from Dental schools because they smoke ciggs?

Members don't see this ad.

people who smoke in my class have some of the whitest/nicest teeth :confused:

Most don't smoke, however I always see a small group of dental students who smoke outside.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't smoke. I really think its kind of weird to see healthcare providers who treat and teach people to live healthy to be smoking those "death sticks"

You can't be serious......ALL sorts of people smoke including dentists, physicians, clowns, ect. I can't imagine someone being judged to the point where they are denied admission to school because of a legalized life habit/choice. I have known of physicians, dentists, med and dent students who smoke and nobody seems to care.....You are in the clear pal;)

I don't smoke. I really think its kind of weird to see healthcare providers who treat and teach people to live healthy to be smoking those "death sticks"

Hard to preach a healthy lifestyle when you're addicted to cigarettes. Your patients would probably feel weird seeing you smoking outside your clinic before their appointment.

Kinda like an Alcoholics Anonymous counsellor downing a beer while giving his speech to the class.

Hard to preach a healthy lifestyle when you're addicted to cigarettes. Your patients would probably feel weird seeing you outside smoking outside your clinic before their appointment.

Kinda like an Alcoholics Anonymous counsellor downing a beer while giving his speech to the class.

That would really be a sight to see. Real good point though. I used to smoke years ago and am so glad I quite. I never looked back. I just don't understand why I ever smoked in the first place. But seriously, how can one practice what they preach if they are doing something that we now without a shadow of a doubt that it is harmful to one's health?

By all means,

You are entitled to your own freedom about smoking cigs, but I do agree with AlbinoPolarBear. Good point, Bear.

Just Was wondering If You know of any Dental students who smoke or any students who get rejected from Dental schools because they smoke ciggs?

Yep, some do, but I haven't seen many. I've never heard of someone being rejected because they smoke, but for obvious reasons, a person who wants to become a dentist absolutely should quit smoking. You'll be advising your patients about their oral habits and smoking is one thing you'll be helping them overcome for the rest of your career. If you are a smoker, your quitting can be a factor to motivate your patient to make positive changes in their own life. :thumbup:

I know a pre-optometry and pre-dent who smoke hooka and weed. so what if you smoke. somebody who judges you on that is ignorant.

Yeah smoking is bad, but so is a lot of other stuff that most people do.
How many of you pre-dent health freaks seriously wear sunblock every day?? Don't you know what those UV rays are doing to your skin!?!?

You do not need to have Obsessive Compulsive characteristics about the way you care about your sacred, precious teeth to be a dentist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a pre-optometry and pre-dent who smoke hooka and weed. so what if you smoke. somebody who judges you on that is ignorant.

How many of you pre-dent health freaks seriously wear sunblock every day?? Don't you know what those UV rays are doing to your skin!?!?

You do not need to have Obsessive Compulsive characteristics about the way you care about your sacred, precious teeth to be a dentist.

What's ignorant is to make the assumption that patients will want to do what's necessary to maintain their oral and systemic health despite the fact that their healthcare provider isn't doing the same. How much credibility do you suppose a dentist has when they try to educate a patient of the dangers of smoking when they themselves are smokers? Certainly smoking is a choice you make, but it is also a choice you will be judged for in your capacity as a dentist.

Yeah, after being a dentist, if your patients leave you for another dentist who doesn't smoke, make your secretary call them up and give them this speech.

Emphasize what a dangerous world we live in, and how other non-smoking dentists are hypocrites because they preach a healthy lifestyle yet don't even wear sunscreen.

When I was shadowing my dentist, I remember that he had a patient where he basically had to pull out most of her top teeth because she smoked...

When I was shadowing my dentist, I remember that he had a patient where he basically had to pull out most of her top teeth because she smoked...

I've seen this too, but with only 2 or 3 teeth at the time. The patient was shocked because she didn't have any decay but her teeth were loose. She didn't realize that her gums were so unhealthy from her smoking habit. I think most of the general public understands that smoking yellows their teeth and is bad for their gums. But when they hear "gum disease," I don't know if they realize that they could lose their teeth as a result.

It is so important to not only educate patients about their oral health, but to also be a good example of oral health practices in the community. While smoking is a personal choice, I think it would be hard for your patients to take your commitment to oral health seriously if they knew.

Well I will admit that I smoke. I made sure I didn't smell like it at my interviews, and they all went well and nobody mentioned it (although I doubt they would say anything if they had smelled it). So on December 1st I'll let you know if it kept me out of dental school haha.

As far as the patients go, I don't think it's as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be. First of all, you aren't legally required to tell every person you meet that you smoke. I spent the first 3 years in the lab I work in without letting anyone else know I smoke, and no one found out until I did it in front of them. Second, not everyone is going to leave a dentist because they find out they smoke. Not everyone is that judgmental. Yes some might, but as long as you don't have a huge shortage of patients you should be able to make up for the few that leave. I mean, I know a lot of overweight doctors that tell their patients to lower their blood pressure and exercise. The fact that the doctor doesn't do that doesn't mean the patient shouldn't. Ultimately though we all are predents and it will be a long time before any of us really know what we're talking about on subjects like this.

Regardless of interviews/patient perception, if you do smoke you should quit, and you should do it before dental school. I started smoking when I was 15. I'm 22 now and I've regretted it every day for the past 4 years. In high stress situations (college, dental school) it's really hard to stop. I have a semester off next semester and the first thing I plan on doing is locking myself in my parents' cottage for a few days so I can finally get that monkey off my back. OP if you smoke too I hope that you will make the same decision soon. However, don't make the decision for dental school or patients or all the people who act like smoking is the worst thing anyone has ever done. Do it for yourself.

a dentist who smokes is like a cardiac surgeon who eats McDonalds for lunch! You just can't trust em :p

I have pretty harsh opinions on health care providers who smoke.... especially those in dentistry.

(I don't mean smoking on occasion socially). I think it hints at that you cope with stress in unhealthy ways. I think someone loses their "credibility" when a patient or other people know you smoke. I would be horribly embarrassed.

Research what smoking does to your mouth in regards to periodontal disease. Its disgusting.

And for the record, if you smoke, even if you think you don't smell like smoke. We can all smell it. Especially people who have been working in dentistry. And patient will definitely be able to because you are going to be very close when you work on them.

tobacco_large_Brunei_oral_01_large_en.jpg

I can totally relate to the "practice what you preach". When I was counseling my patients to kick their smoking habit while I was smoking myself, I felt like a hypocrite. Externally, I also had to worry about my patients or co-workers seeing me outside puffing away.

It's a battle. Total abstinence = 4+ months baby! Now I feel more genuine when I do work with them on nicotine dependence and use my own success story to motivate them to quit.

It's like going to a fat personal trainer.

But of course I doubt dental schools will reject an applicant because of their smoking habit. That's a lil silly.

I don't smoke though. I want to live a long life :eek:

So I don't smoke, nor would I go to a dentist that smokes. I also am a runner and I found an orthopedic surgeon who is not fat and exercises so he would understand with what I do with my life.
When you talk about patients not caring, some of us do care. And especially if you live in/around a major city, you can pick among many different healthcare professionals who all are probably competent professionals but may have a characteristic you enjoy.

So I don't smoke, nor would I go to a dentist that smokes. I also am a runner and I found an orthopedic surgeon who is not fat and exercises so he would understand with what I do with my life.
When you talk about patients not caring, some of us do care. And especially if you live in/around a major city, you can pick among many different healthcare professionals who all are probably competent professionals but may have a characteristic you enjoy.

So just so we're clear on this, you're in good shape and you won't see a health care professional who is fat? Good thinking, personal habits are definitely more important in a surgeon than skill.

I wouldn't really mind if my dentist smoked. However, if I smelled it on his/her breath constantly while they were doing work or leaning in next to me, I think that would be annoying. Just like if a nurse returned to her shift and reeked of smoke.

By the way, on this topic...for some GPRs and other residencies in hospitals or health centers, part of their new patient check in may be giving them a number to call or handing them a pamphlet about quitting smoking for their oral/overall health. It may be required that you do so. So, be prepared to help patients quit even if you couldn't yourself.

I wouldn't really mind if my dentist smoked. However, if I smelled it on his/her breath constantly while they were doing work or leaning in next to me, I think that would be annoying. Just like if a nurse returned to her shift and reeked of smoke.

:thumbup:

Would you go to a dentist with bad teeth? I'll assume your teeth are awesome and the dentist is licensed so he has the skills/knowledge to check your teeth but his teeth are brown. He's probably going to tell you to brush and floss more like every dentist.

What about dentists/dental students who chew?? I've definitely heard of that too

Sigh. I don't mind smokers, fat people, etc. What I do hate is when people make illogical rationalizations like the bolded part to continue their bad habits.

During some hospital volunteering I did in a clinic where we managed patients w/ congenital heart defects, one of the cardiac surgeons was clearly overweight. A rather heavy-set fellow who you would hear struggling for breath once in a while as he walked around the clinic.

I understand the whole "practice what you preach" mentality because if this person honestly cared about what they did, why aren't they attempting to be an embodiment of its ideals or principles? It sort of begs the question, did he get into heart surgery simply because he was good at it, the money attracted him, or some other superficial reason beyond actually caring about it?

Who knows. At the moment it's beyond our scope to judge, I think. Maybe in a few years we'll understand why some dentists smoke, and some heart surgeons are on the brink of cardiac failure themselves.

That would really be a sight to see. Real good point though. I used to smoke years ago and am so glad I quite. I never looked back. I just don't understand why I ever smoked in the first place. But seriously, how can one practice what they preach if they are doing something that we now without a shadow of a doubt that it is harmful to one's health?

lol ... yes, some do. and some dont brush 3 times a day or floss, at all.

come to think of it, i had a coke AND a sweet tea today and didn't brush afterwards. [insert dramatic music]

but rest assured, we all provide our pt's the education they need to help keep their oral health under control and hope that they will use that information for good ... is that wrong?

What about dentists/dental students who chew?? I've definitely heard of that too

Random fact: chew has fluoride, so it doesn't usually cause decay, but the effect it has on the gingiva is devastating (and just plain gross). I see this a lot (I'm in AR).

One of the dentists at the office I work now is an awesome dentist, but he's a smoker, and his teeth are terrible. I'm always embarrassed to have him come in smelling like smoke to check my patients.

Also, in response to the person who said that the smokers they know have the whitest teeth. That's because you can't see the palatal and lingual surfaces. Hello, Prophyjet. Lol.

Just don't smoke at your interview. One of my best friends who is in dental school said a classmate of his will NOT take a test without a dip in. Just go by the same saying I do, "Do as I say not as I do."

The main issue I see here, regarding the original question, is that a person really, really does not want to smell like smoke on interview day. So I would advise anyone interviewing to abstain for at least that one day. BUT, that would just be adding even more stress (for smokers) to an already stressful day. For this reason, quitting during undergrad/prior to interviews would be the best option (duh...). Also, I think someone may have mentioned this above, but it will be really hard to quit during dental school.

As far as smoking when you are practicing as a dentist, I don't think it will destroy your practice or alienate all of your patients. But you must remember that all practicing dentists are going to be "competing" with others, to some extent. And as the face of a service-based business, generally speaking, the more healthy/free of vices/attractive you can make yourself, the better.

I hate kissing girls with cigarette breath. However, I do make exceptions for the really hot ones lol.

I had this question at one of my interviews. "Is it morally wrong for a dentist to smoke, while he/she advises oral cancer patients to stop smoking?"

Personally, I wouldn't want to see my personal trainer at McDonald's. Even if he's fit and can afford the calories, I would just find it a little hypocritical.

I had this question at one of my interviews. "Is it morally wrong for a dentist to smoke, while he/she advises oral cancer patients to stop smoking?"

Personally, I wouldn't want to see my personal trainer at McDonald's. Even if he's fit and can afford the calories, I would just find it a little hypocritical.
You might want to update predent profile.

Alright boys, let's ask the more interesting question: How many dental students smoke the other stuff? I bet the ones in CA lead the pack.

Actually, I met a 2nd year med student last week and she admitted that she was a big smoker and attributed it to the stress of med school.

Alright boys, let's ask the more interesting question: How many dental students smoke the other stuff? I bet the ones in CA lead the pack.

Actually, I met a 2nd year med student last week and she admitted that she was a big smoker and attributed it to the stress of med school.

Now if your gonna bring weed into the picture their are def more weed smokers in med and dental schools than actual cigg smokers. alot of the med and dent students ive met or who r going into the profession are weed smokers....

but to me weed isnt as addicting at ciggs. I heard its lot more fun though :D:D

Now if your gonna bring weed into the picture their are def more weed smokers in med and dental schools than actual cigg smokers. alot of the med and dent students ive met or who r going into the profession are weed smokers....

but to me weed isnt as addicting at ciggs. I heard its lot more fun though :D:D

I may have to experiment in dental school.

What's ignorant is to make the assumption that patients will want to do what's necessary to maintain their oral and systemic health despite the fact that their healthcare provider isn't doing the same. How much credibility do you suppose a dentist has when they try to educate a patient of the dangers of smoking when they themselves are smokers? Certainly smoking is a choice you make, but it is also a choice you will be judged for in your capacity as a dentist.

Is part of your strategy on coaching them to maintain good oral health have to do with informing them about your personal life?

Smoking as a doctor, dentist, or whatever it may be... doesn't make you any less qualified to be a health-care provider. It is you who is ignorant.

Many cops smoke weed, and break the law (not using signals, illegal u-turns) ALL THE TIME where I live.... THAT is an example of where it, in my opinion, is wrong.

Would you leave your dentist or not recommend him to others due to the fact that he smokes, aside from the fact that he does a very good job in taking care of his patients and informing him about good oral health?

Part of a doctor's job is to provide the patient with information, they are not their parents.

How many people do you think seriously quit smoking after hearing that their dentist told them it is unhealthy for their oral health? Hell, is this not common sense!?!? I knew this when I was a child.

If you really are that naive and willpower-less then I think you should live in a cave, and devote your life to God because you are clearly too easily influenced by today's society.

Make decisions for yourself, and if you don't like the decisions you've made, then learn from your mistakes... or... keep making the mistakes and blame other people for them and live the life of a complete *****.

To add to the "other stuff" portion of this thread: I've smoked 3-4 times daily, worked 50 hours a week, while attending school full time and manage to keep an A average. It's about the person, not what you do.. Not to mention I have a past with many other various narcotics, dropped out of highschool twice and after being told that I would amount to nothing in my life by teachers, principals and all like-minded... I ended up graduating one of the top in my school. Before grade 12 I didn't have a mark above 54% in grade 11 (not kidding, I had the majority of my classes bumped up to 50's) My mindset is... KEEP JUDGING ME ! I'll keep proving your ass wrong... actually, I like it when people judge me, it gives me more motivation to try even harder to succeed.

By the way, you might find it odd that my views are still the same on the matter, so I feel like I want to say that I don't ever really smoke anymore (since I got to University) and I ALSO HATE CIGARETTES AND TOBACCO TOO! People blow it in my face while I'm walking into a building, ect... And I feel like there putting all these toxins in the air that I have to breathe.. I really think smoking cigs should be illegal (due to many other more significant reasons) but I still wouldn't stop seeing a doctor because of what he does on his own time... Unless he's into child pornography and I'm bringing my kids to him, then it would be a different story... But you see my point. Maybe I shouldn't go to the doctor that plays video games in his spare time, because he could be using that time to stay on top of his medical knowledge to better serve me.. (that is a more plausible statement than the one declared above and is tstill completely irrational)

Last edited:
Unfortunately all kinds of people smoke.

Last edited:
a dentist that smokes wont make or break your decision to go to him. If he messes up and causes you miserable pain, thats when most people will seize treatment from him.

I have pretty harsh opinions on health care providers who smoke.... especially those in dentistry.

(I don't mean smoking on occasion socially). I think it hints at that you cope with stress in unhealthy ways. I think someone loses their "credibility" when a patient or other people know you smoke. I would be horribly embarrassed.

Research what smoking does to your mouth in regards to periodontal disease. Its disgusting.

And for the record, if you smoke, even if you think you don't smell like smoke. We can all smell it. Especially people who have been working in dentistry. And patient will definitely be able to because you are going to be very close when you work on them.

Research what drinking Coca Cola and eating the ocasional chocolate bar does to you! Or that table spoon of salt on your homefries!

Lets all live a life exempt of luxuries and condem ourselves into a robot-like society because of the things it will do to our bodies? Rest well knowing that everything you do kills you in a sense and quite frankly you are dying by the second..

People that DONT smoke and smell... why don't we complain about them?

What about all the scientists that made advancements in what we know to be science today? Half of them did a variety of drugs much worse than nicotine and marijuana.... Lets not trust them and throw out their scientific theories because of the drugs; their credibility now amounts to nothing?

Jease... you're probably the type of person that thinks drug addicts that are homeless are also good for nothing and failures at life with no credibility too right? I hate to say it my friend but you have seen nothing in life and are really just a product of your parents and have clearly lived a sheltered life. I can only hope that one day, reality ****s on you.

Btw, you should be embarrassed at your lack of experience in life and how close-minded you are...