Do dental students wear clothes under their scrubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kouneko

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but...
I am an incoming dental student who's trying to figure out what size to wear. Do I need to take an extra layer of clothes under the scurb into account?

Members don't see this ad.

I wear a white T-shirt under my scrubs. Most guys will do that or wear just scrubs with an exposed chest. Large portion of ladies wear some sort of T-shirt. I know of no one who wear pants underneath their scrubs, unless it's a really cold day, in which case people might throw on underarmor-type garments. You should ask someone at the school you are attending. For example, our sim lab has no AC, so you'd be crazy to wear much underneath. But if the school you are attending blasts AC, it might be common.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Most people certainly wear appropriate undergarments when wearing scrubs to work. ... There are “"under scrubs”, which are long or short sleeved shirts made of a thin, close fitting material that can be worn for warmth under scrubs. Or plain teeshirts can be worn under scrubs for warmth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how cold it is. Generally you can just wear a close fitting t-shirt under your scrubs. If you get cold easily, you may want to look into thermals for your legs. I have used the 32 degree ones and they work well. They are also super cheap at costco.

White shirt under well fitting scrubs.
If there's no dress code outside clinic, its sweats and Star Wars tshirts.

Reactions: 1 user
Take into consideration the school's dress code and the climate. Opt for thinner scrubs with more natural fiber content for hotter climate or hot summers and roomier ones for the winter time

I recommend a variety of scrub types until you find what's comfortable, I wouldn't recommend necessarily sizing up to prepare for underclothes.
In the summer I don't really wear under clothes, but in the cold I could fit a pair of leggings and like 2 shirts and still have movement.

Depends on how cold it is. Generally you can just wear a close fitting t-shirt under your scrubs. If you get cold easily, you may want to look into thermals for your legs. I have used the 32 degree ones and they work well. They are also super cheap at costco.

Second this! They have awesome thermal long-sleeve too.

I prefer to wear an undershirt under my scrubs, either white or black to match the scrub color. We can wear whatever color scrubs we want at Michigan.

I wear Nike training shirts since they are really breathable and keep me from completely sweating through my scrubs.

i always wore a white undershirt under my scrubs in school, but I stopped doing that after graduation, mainly because I found a good brand/style of scrubs.

Reppin' the black undershirt.

i always wore a white undershirt under my scrubs in school, but I stopped doing that after graduation, mainly because I found a good brand/style of scrubs.
Care to share? I though you can only purchase scrubs through the school because of the colors, school logo, etc

Care to share? I though you can only purchase scrubs through the school because of the colors, school logo, etc
School usually restrict the color. There are dozens of companies making scrubs. Go to a good store and try them on. Good ones may be expensive

I never wore anything under scrubs, but I always kept a hoodie or packable jacket in my backpack on days with lecture because the lecture halls were either saunas or deep freezers. Also loved my Figs scrubs.

I never wore anything under scrubs, but I always kept a hoodie or packable jacket in my backpack on days with lecture because the lecture halls were either saunas or deep freezers. Also loved my Figs scrubs.

Why is that so true for practically all dental schools? our lecture halls feel like we're in the middle of an ice age in July.

My school only restricted the colors (light/ceil blue or navy). Some schools, like Case Western (at least when I interviewed) had specific color scrubs for each year or class, which probably restricted the brand and style. When I was in school I started with Dickies but then changed to Landau. Now I wear Koi.