DO Derm programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's hardly ever people on here with info or experience, but it can't hurt to try again - it's been awhile since I asked, and now I have my boardscores back.

COMLEX: 646
Class rank: preclinical prob. middle of class, clinical don't know, still in 3rd year
Research/Pubs: none
Letters: a killer one from an unknown internist, rest pending (expect good ones)

With an average-good class rank and no research/pubs, is my COMLEX good enough to get me into a DO derm program?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are probably incorrect. DO Derm programs are still very competitive, considering how FEW spots there are around the country. Shoot, I know several people who have entered UNFUNDED DO Derm programs because it is so competitive.

Q

I tend to agree with Quinn on this one. There are people out there who will go to extraordinary lengths to get a DO derm spot, including doing a full FP residency first.

Yeah, there are several unfunded programs, and at least one that requires doing an IM residency first. I realize that it is very difficult, I was wondering if I should even think about it as a possibility.

Yeah, there are several unfunded programs, and at least one that requires doing an IM residency first. I realize that it is very difficult, I was wondering if I should even think about it as a possibility.

Dude. If you want Derm, go for it! Why quit so early in the game?!?!

Q

I tend to agree with Quinn on this one. There are people out there who will go to extraordinary lengths to get a DO derm spot, including doing a full FP residency first.

Does anyone have a list of these unfunded programs?

I think you can tell just by browsing the full list of programs with attention to the salary section.

I know there's hardly ever people on here with info or experience, but it can't hurt to try again - it's been awhile since I asked, and now I have my boardscores back.

COMLEX: 646
Class rank: preclinical prob. middle of class, clinical don't know, still in 3rd year
Research/Pubs: none
Letters: a killer one from an unknown internist, rest pending (expect good ones)

With an average-good class rank and no research/pubs, is my COMLEX good enough to get me into a DO derm program?

I counted the number of positions up, and it was about 95.

But about 15 of those positions are not funded. So that leaves about 80 positions.

Unless I counted something wrong, it looks like going into Derm via the AOA route is a very competitive one.

Best of wishes!

C&C

Here is what the Long Beach program (unfunded) says about their desired applicants.

Required Qualifications:

1) Osteopathic Degree from an accredited Osteopathic Medical School

2) Completion of AOA Internship (preference given to interns from Pacific Hospital)

3) Completion of COMLEX series

Desired Qualifications for Consideration:

1) Top 15% of Medical School Class

2) GPA > 85% or 3.5

3)Board Scores > 85%

4) Dermatology related research and/or publications

5) Special talents: leadership, speaking, writing, art, music, etc...

6) Internship at Pacific Hospital

7) Letters of Recommendations from rotations with Osteopathic Dermatologists

8) Attendance at AOCD meetings

9) Student Membership in AOCD

Am I missing something here? If there are around 15,000 US MD applicants with around 300 MD Derm spots....and less then 3,000 DO's with 80 DO spots....unless I'm reading something wrong the odds look in your (any DO's) favor....

Am I missing something here? If there are around 15,000 US MD applicants with around 300 MD Derm spots....and less then 3,000 DO's with 80 DO spots....unless I'm reading something wrong the odds look in your (any DO's) favor....

That's 80 DO spots TOTAL (PGY2-4). There are between 18-23 slots each year for PGY2.

That's 80 DO spots TOTAL (PGY2-4). There are between 18-23 slots each year for PGY2.

Ah I see!

Makes more sense now.

So basically there are 80 D.O.s doing residency right now in dermatology and not 80 positions for those vying to into derm?