DO derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Dazzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that ACGME derm is off limits to DO applicants. However, as a DO student, I am interested in the field. I would like to understand what I can do to improve my chances of matching an AOA program. Aren't many DO programs combined with IM residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that ACGME derm is off limits to DO applicants. However, as a DO student, I am interested in the field. I would like to understand what I can do to improve my chances of matching an AOA program. Aren't many DO programs combined with IM residencies?
ACGME programs are not off limits for DO applicants, just even more difficult to obtain than their MD counterparts.

And from what I have heard from the DO derms, there are a few internships that have derm track that you then would continue with DO derm residency, but for the most part the programs are IM for 3 years then DO residency.

I'm not sure what will happen with all these DO programs when the ACGME and AOA merge.

I believe a DO student may have matched at the Mayo Clinic (frozen tundra of the north locale) this year. So it's absolutely a possibility.

That said, just because it can be done doesn't mean it's a realistic probability for most. Everyone likes to think they are the 1 in a 1,000,000 since it's what their mom used to tell them, and everyone assumes they are way better at life than they actually are (except for me). That's not meant to dissuade you from shooting for it; just have a balanced understanding and realistic outlook on the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Cleveland Clinic has taken a couple DOs the past few years.

I believe a DO student may have matched at the Mayo Clinic (frozen tundra of the north locale) this year. So it's absolutely a possibility.

That said, just because it can be done doesn't mean it's a realistic probability for most. Everyone likes to think they are the 1 in a 1,000,000 since it's what their mom used to tell them, and everyone assumes they are way better at life than they actually are (except for me). That's not meant to dissuade you from shooting for it; just have a balanced understanding and realistic outlook on the process.

I think Cleveland Clinic has taken a couple DOs the past few years.

not to give false hope to the OP, but those DOs had previous years of clinical experience in IM and research with many pubs with top dogs in the field.

Derm is so competitive! I guess you really have to want it....and put off a lot of other things going on in the lives of many other med students not doing derm.

Did most of you guys really want derm that bad? Even right now, I would be willing to settle for a more realistic and matchable residency.

Derm is so competitive! I guess you really have to want it....and put off a lot of other things going on in the lives of many other med students not doing derm.

Did most of you guys really want derm that bad? Even right now, I would be willing to settle for a more realistic and matchable residency.

My uncle had a similar quote he would use on the kids at our family gatherings but everyone seems to like quoting Bob Kelso more so here we go:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOBIq0R4iQY[/YOUTUBE]

I thought you wanted ortho..... pretty big difference between Derm and Ortho, except the paycheck

not to give false hope to the OP, but those DOs had previous years of clinical experience in IM and research with many pubs with top dogs in the field.

agree... the DOs I know who matched to allopathic programs previously did research with the department they matched with. Same thing with IMGs.

If it's your calling to pursue derm, then you should go for it! At worst, it might take some extra work or research. Best of luck. :)

agree... the DOs I know who matched to allopathic programs previously did research with the department they matched with. Same thing with IMGs.

If it's your calling to pursue derm, then you should go for it! At worst, it might take some extra work or research. Best of luck. :)

What level of research are we talking about? Of course, in the 4 year med school curriculum it would be difficult to fit in research other than between M1 and M2 summer. Do these applicants take an extra year to do research?

What level of research are we talking about? Of course, in the 4 year med school curriculum it would be difficult to fit in research other than between M1 and M2 summer. Do these applicants take an extra year to do research?
more than an extra year. pubs after pubs and w/ big wigs. as a DO student, you will not be at the same level to compete at that level of other DOs that have matched at MD programs. DOs have their own DO derm programs, I suggest you pursue that route.

more than an extra year. pubs after pubs and w/ big wigs. as a DO student, you will not be at the same level to compete at that level of other DOs that have matched at MD programs. DOs have their own DO derm programs, I suggest you pursue that route.

Are extra research years paid in some way? I don't know how students are expected to keep letting interest build up on loans and delay attending salary in the process. Quite a sacrifice. As far as DO, I have heard that research isn't as big a deal as ACGME derm. However, doing IM residency is pretty much a requirement. Not sure though.

Are extra research years paid in some way? I don't know how students are expected to keep letting interest build up on loans and delay attending salary in the process. Quite a sacrifice

See Dr. Kelso above

If you want derm, you better be ready to fight for it

Most research years are paid

Yes, we all made sacrifices...instead of playing outside, we sat at a bench doing research. instead of having filet mignon, we had subway b/c we just didn't have the time to cut our food, instead of relationships, we had a string of one night stands and when we did go out, we decided to drink tequila instead of beer to catch-up with our alcoholism.

I think you should settle for something other than derm, you are not a competitive candidate just giving your hesitance to not give up everything for derm.

Yes, we all made sacrifices...instead of playing outside, we sat at a bench doing research. instead of having filet mignon, we had subway b/c we just didn't have the time to cut our food, instead of relationships, we had a string of one night stands and when we did go out, we decided to drink tequila instead of beer to catch-up with our alcoholism.

I think you should settle for something other than derm, you are not a competitive candidate just giving your hesitance to not give up everything for derm.

What attracted you to derm over all other residencies? Was it the lifestyle? Was it the compensation? Or genuine interest? Or the fact that it was the most competitive and therefore you had to prove you could do it?

What attracted you to derm over all other residencies? Was it the lifestyle? Was it the compensation? Or genuine interest? Or the fact that it was the most competitive and therefore you had to prove you could do it?
these are questions for you to answer

Looking at match lists, I saw DOs matched derm at Dartmouth Geisinger and UNM. I believe that these are ACGME residencies. FWIW