DO Dermatology or MD Dermatology Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GADO89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am third year DO student wondering whether I should attempt applying to MD programs or just stick to DO programs? The only reason I worry about DO programs sometimes is if I wanted to do a fellowship I didn't know if you could do MD fellowships as DO resident, especially Dermatopathology which I like a lot. I have a 256 USMLE step 1 and 688 COMLEX score step 1 and a couple of case reports published in Dermatology and trying to do some more at this moment and get onto some bench work research as much as I can the remaining year. In top 10% of the class and have gotten all honors on rotations so far. Do you think I will at least get interviews and have a chance at MD places or should I put all my energy into DO programs? This is a honest question that I am having a hard time figuring out and am hoping for some good responses to help me out. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am third year DO student wondering whether I should attempt applying to MD programs or just stick to DO programs? The only reason I worry about DO programs sometimes is if I wanted to do a fellowship I didn't know if you could do MD fellowships as DO resident, especially Dermatopathology which I like a lot. I have a 256 USMLE step 1 and 688 COMLEX score step 1 and a couple of case reports published in Dermatology and trying to do some more at this moment and get onto some bench work research as much as I can the remaining year. In top 10% of the class and have gotten all honors on rotations so far. Do you think I will at least get interviews and have a chance at MD places or should I put all my energy into DO programs? This is a honest question that I am having a hard time figuring out and am hoping for some good responses to help me out. Thanks a lot.

I think (financial issues not considered), you might as well just apply to both kind of programs (allopathic & osteopathic) and apply broadly ( i.e. all US allopathic derm programs) and see what happens. Many allopathic derm programs specifically state on their website that they will consider DO applicants, so I'm sure you have a shot. I think there's even a program in Ohio that has 2 spots reserved for DO students. Your uphill battle will be that (despite your above average stats/grades) you're competing against many allopathic graduates also with great stats, and most allopathic programs will give them preference.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can MD fellowships as a DO residency graduate, but correct me if I'm wrong.

You can do MD fellowships as a DO residency graduate but there does tend to be a bias against DO residents (even if they graduate from allopathic residencies). I found this to be true for quite a few of the procedural derm fellowships, unclear if this is the case in pathology. Nonetheless, I was under the impression that there would be a combining of MD and DO programs under the umbrella of the ACGME, has there been a delay in this process?

Members don't see this ad :)
you can probably still make it into allopathic, but it will be an uphill battle as most allopathic students applying have around that score. Even with your scores, you will probably get in after a research fellowship than from med school. The osteopathic programs will be more accepting earlier in the game.

as far as post-residency, probably more about who you know than DO/MD and since fellowship programs are MDs, they would know well people from MD derm programs that can vouch for that applicant.

Is there specific DO friendly residency programs you know of?

Is there specific DO friendly residency programs you know of?

Your best bet is to look at programs who have taken DOs in the past. Past performance is not necessarily a reliable indicator of future acceptances since those DOs who were accepted usually have impeccable academic records (although your test scores are up there so far) and connections with the program somehow (usually via research)

At one of my interviews, there were 2 DO students, but both had rotated at the program. I talked to one of them, and my understanding is that the best bet will be to look/rotate at program that are in undesirable locations. Think of it this way: you want to focus on programs where when you tell people what city it is in, they'll grimace an ask you why the hell you'd want to live there. If you want to know the program, PM me. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
At one of my interviews, there were 2 DO students, but both had rotated at the program. I talked to one of them, and my understanding is that the best bet will be to look/rotate at program that are in undesirable locations. Think of it this way: you want to focus on programs where when you tell people what city it is in, they'll grimace an ask you why the hell you'd want to live there. If you want to know the program, PM me. Good luck!

Such a Patsy Stone way to say that :p

I think (financial issues not considered), you might as well just apply to both kind of programs (allopathic & osteopathic) and apply broadly ( i.e. all US allopathic derm programs) and see what happens. Many allopathic derm programs specifically state on their website that they will consider DO applicants, so I'm sure you have a shot. I think there's even a program in Ohio that has 2 spots reserved for DO students. Your uphill battle will be that (despite your above average stats/grades) you're competing against many allop
Note that the 'program in Ohio' is one of the few integrated programs that accepts people from the MD match and DO match. However, those 2 spots reserved for DOs are through the DO match only.

Last edited:
BUMP. Hey, How did things end up for you all? I am a current 4th year D.O. student planning on applying MD Derm and curious how things ended up.
Or if anyone is in the same boat as me or has been in the past I would appreciate hearing your experiences. For my paper profile my step 1's were about 700 and mid 240's. Step 2's were just above 800 and mid 250's. Couple case reports published, more written, one larger paper in the works. The usual.

I've never heard of a DO matching in an MD derm program but I imagine it has happened. It would be quite an uphill battle considering many MD students go unmatched.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of a DO matching in an MD derm program but I imagine it has happened. It would be quite an uphill battle considering many MD students go unmatched.

Happens not infrequently at Cleveland Clinic - as I understand (and I may be wrong), there is some sort of pipeline or earmarked slots for a DO resident most years. I am sure someone with more authority on this matter could chime in.

Well I do appreciate these comments. It's fun looking ahead and being at the point where I'm preparing for the match and residency. So thanks for the insight and opinions.

What is the reputation of the DO residencies? My understanding is they are more community hospital/small clinics based and not highly respected by the dermatology community. Am I wrong? Also for DOs applying to MD programs should I bother submitting my COMLEX scores? or just USMLE?

Just happened yesterday! It can be done.

Does anyone know if the residents at DO dermatology programs are taking the boards this summer with the MD programs?

Are there any former DO only programs that have been ACGME accredited since the merger and are now accepting MDs? And if so, are these places biased towards DOs?

Are there any former DO only programs that have been ACGME accredited since the merger and are now accepting MDs? And if so, are these places biased towards DOs?
Yes! There was at least one in Florida this year that I saw an MD student from University of Utah matched into.

Reactions: 1 users

I happen to be the aforementioned student who got into the Florida program. It’s a great little program and was quite robust before the merger. It was one of the few programs that needed very few changes to make accreditation :) happy to answer any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile