Do DO schools offer full rides/scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueComet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard of MD schools offering full rides to students. Do DO schools do this too?

Members don't see this ad.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

No. More likely you won't see a penny.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hmm thats weird... I wonder why that is.
Most MDs are associated with universities that have grants, etc. Since most DOs are private, there's no grant money or scholarship fund

Reactions: 1 users
KCU offers a full tuition diversity scholarship to 3 students per year

PCOM offers full and partial scholarships but don't know the criteria to get one

Wait. MD schools offer scholarships? Do you have to be way above the school's median stats or something?
Yes, and typically these students also strongly identify with a specific mission statement, agree to practice in the area for 'x' years (typically rural, primary care), and/or otherwise have exceptional and distinctive financial need.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah right the rural/primary care thing. LECOM does that, no?
Yes, but it isn’t a full ride. 20k per year, so up to 80k IIRC. Would go a long way at that school.

No.
Charging you a s**t ton and filling up your curriculum with mandatory bs so you can't fully devote your time to step 1 and you're defaulted to primary care.
That's usually the motto.

Yes, and typically these students also strongly identify with a specific mission statement, agree to practice in the area for 'x' years (typically rural, primary care), and/or otherwise have exceptional and distinctive financial need.

There are exceptions to all of this, though! I’m chiming in because I am one of the exceptions, and it is VERY life changing.

There are exceptions to all of this, though! I’m chiming in because I am one of the exceptions, and it is VERY life changing.

What DO is it that gave you a full ride? I will gladly attend it over an MD if I receive a full ride ;)

Yes, but it isn’t a full ride. 20k per year, so up to 80k IIRC. Would go a long way at that school.
Is that what LECOM offers? i thought you just did not have to pay the 4th years tuition, but that was it.

Curious, you claim that there are full ride scholarships for MD students that do not consider the student’s merit, URM status, or practicing commitments? The exception would be a military scholarship or outstanding community service commitments, but even the ones I’m privy to only cover part of the tuition.

The person I know who got the full ride isn’t URM and had a poor MCAT/had to apply a second year.

I received a fantastic scholarship and have 0 practice commitments or military requirement.

Schools sometimes get fantastic donor money, and sometimes it gets earmarked specifically for students. NYU is entirely tuition-free now.

No.
Charging you a s**t ton and filling up your curriculum with mandatory bs so you can't fully devote your time to step 1 and you're defaulted to primary care.
That's usually the motto.

TRU, thank god not as much in my school lmao. Although, I have read 'horror stories'.

Not a DO school, but if you are really desperate for a (nearly) full-ride then either you or your parents can go live in Wyoming for 5 years. If you attend U Washington (via WWAMI) you get a full-ride if you agree to practice in Wyoming for 3 years after residency. All Wyoming matriculants receive this deal.

• Wow
Why would they? DO schools exist not to teach you but to make admin money.

• Sad