DO doing an MD residency - COMLEX or USMLE Step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi everyone,

I'm graduating from a DO medical school, and am going into Neurology. I'm going to do my preliminary year in Ohio at an MD program, and then am going to an MD program for PGY2-4 in Neurology.
Anyway, I could really use some insight as to the following:

1) Do I take the USMLE or COMLEX Step 3, or both? I know there are '5 states' that have stricter osteopathic requirements to be recognized as a DO there (and one of them is Texas, where I'm going..). I'd be more than ok with being an MD but you can't get that degree conferred to you unless you went to an MD medical school right? Therefore, is it mandatory that I take the COMLEX Step 3? How about the USMLE Step 3, is that required too?

2) When to take Step 3: I've seen other threads trying to solicit information regarding this, and there seems to be a lot of confusion. I'd love to take Step 3 before residency and get it out of the way. Is that possible? Do I need to retake step 3 if I complete the exam in Ohio, then go to Texas for the next 3 years?

I actually have more questions lol, but I'll stop there..I would sincerely appreciate any insight regarding the above questions. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Those were a lot of questions you have, but I think this site may help you http://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_postdocabtres42. Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, Florida, and Michigan are the states that require an osteopathic internship. Texas does not appear to be one of the 4 states that you need to do a traditional rotating internship. Since you will not be doing a traditional rotating internship through the DO route you will not be able to practice in those 4 states unless you do the resolution 42. I think you will be ok just taking COMLEX 3. Hope that helps and someone please correct me if they have any more insight.

Last edited:
comlex 3 = 1 day, usmle 3 = 2 days...............it was a no brainer for me.

comlex 3 = 1 day, usmle 3 = 2 days...............it was a no brainer for me.

Do you have a choice of which one you have to take to become a licensed physician? Is there a benefit to taking both? And either way, as a graduate of a DO medical school, I'll complete residency with a 'DO', not an 'MD' after my name anyway right?

Thank you guys for the info so far I really appreciate it!

You will ALWAYS be a DO.

If you didnt take USMLE step 1, 2 CK and 2 PE, there is no need for you to take step 3, nor is there a benefit to you

IF you did already take all the other USMLE exams - the one benefit of taking USMLE step 3 is that IF you choose to practice in other countries (do mission work), in those few other countries who do not recognize an osteopathic degree, with double licensure (ALL 4 USMLE exams passed) you can practice there....AND some Fellowship programs may prefer to see a high Step 3 USMLE score vs a high COMLEX step 3 score..."some"...

Only reasons to take USMLEs steps all the way through....You should take COMLEX step 3 regardless bc you never know where life will take you and SOME states require DOs to have completed all steps to have licensure.