Do engineering LORs count as science LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tharealest

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to plan ahead. From what I am aware, we need a few LORs from our science professors. I was wondering do LORs from engineering professors count as science ones? It would be harder for me to do get a good science one since I will be only taking the big science premed courses (biology, ochem) and not the upper level ones with small classes, where you get to know your professor better.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Or at least, I used them as science. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
they worked for me. and why not? engineering is using science to its fullest. how great is that? that is basically what doctors do anyways, so those should be some of your best lors.

this really depends upon the school that you will be applying to.
for most schools...your engineering classes will be okay for science letters.

however some schools strictly adhere to the AMCAS rules whereby only biology, chemsitry, physics and math counts as a science class. so EE100 or CS10 wont count as a science class unless some how you can make them count as a physics or math class. otherwise...strictly engineering classes are non-science classes. its dumb i know. i encountered this problem with New York Medical College....

I would think so. Some schools have very specific LOR requirements. Jefferson, for example, wants one letter each from chemistry, physics, biology, and humanities.