DO/FMG applicants to top-tiers...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SleepyTime said:
Boy, is this a feisty thread. I love the DO v MD discussions though. As for me (DO), there's certainly some sort of bias out there, but who knows to what it's attributed. As a former business semi-executive, sometimes we people at the bottom of the ladder don't completely understand the reasons the leaders make decisions. Ultimately, you go with your gut. I just applied widely and now am having a difficult time deciding among my top 3 choices. In reply to your question Idio, now don't get upset again ;) , but I heard from AZ. Perhaps it's because I live in AZ. Who knows?

No, you are just a stud.

I believe I have made that point previously.

I mainly just wanted to hear yay/nay/keep waiting from some of these programs (Yale, Arizona, B&W, Cornell, Northwestern, essentially)

Members don't see this ad.

VentdependenT said:
Just what are your intentions good sir?

Whenest thou begins his CA-1 year I hopeth ye provincial views are dispersed for a more encompasing embrace of thy peers. Wheneth an Osteopath slithers into ye program or *agast* into ye private surgi-center please come with arms wide open vs arms akimbo.

Merlot is for *******.[/QUOTE

Great post. All this fighting amoung the the wolves is hallarious. Now I see how divided you guys are. Cohesive = accomplish.

If admission to the top tier programs (or any other program for that matter) was solely dependant upon your scores/grades, there would be no need for a personal statement, cv, letters of rec, or interviews, correct? If that was the case you could just advertise your scores via ERAS and you could accept the highest bidder akin to an EBAY auction. The fact this is not so strongly suggests the admissions process is subjective and the importance of these intangibles is equal to or greater than your raw scores/grades. In addition, right or wrong, a 3.6gpa at an average medical school with less competitive students is often not perceived to be the equivalent of a lower gpa at a more competitive school.

"Why didn't I get the interview at UCSF or Hopkins?"
Maybe you(MD or DO) didn't get interviews because you're not qualified. Perhaps the visual cues picked up from your fugly photo offended some of the admissions committee. Perhaps your attendings or dean badmouthed you in their letters as a lazy, stupid SOB. Perhaps your personal statement was boring as sh_t or full of it. Whatever the reason, you didn't get the interview--that’s the way it is. Go to the ones you got and move on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Atropine said:
Perhaps the visual cues picked up from your fugly photo offended some of the admissions committee.

At least then you might be able to sue ;)

edit: and by the way, just because people are discussing a subject doesnt mean that they need you to drop in and offer your 'advice' to "move on". Im not sure thats really the answer here. Sometimes we have thoughts, see, and we like to discuss them and see what other people's thoughts are. I realize its quite possibly an alien concept, what with you already having dealt with all of life's little disappointments. Often, I search for ways to better myself, things that I have done wrong, etc.

However, now I know just to move on.

Thanks.

sean wilson said:
As I mentioned before, I've worked with many DOs and had NO problem with them or their title. Ditto for Ross, St George, a slew of Indian medical school grads, etc.

Arent you tolerant. Do you have a black friend too?

Idiopathic said:
Here is my $0.02:

Also, they are a program that has their pick of upper-tier candidates and has little need to go way down on the old ROL and accidentally snag a DO or FMG if they dont want to.

What does bother me is the seemingly blanket disregard for students of osteopathic medical coleges by some of these programs. I know that this year, things are totally different. I know that some of the MD students who post here probably have zero rejections at this point. I was disappointed to get as many as I did (although overall, Im very happy).

I guess what bothers me is that, at the end of the day, at some programs, a 3.9/250 from a DO school is not considered as an acceptable applicant wheres a 3.6/225 from an MD school often is. I started this process very confident (overly so?) and applied only to what I reasoned were top tier programs, with a few fallbacks. I have been awakened, somewhat, by the realities of the situation: some programs will never consider a DO, some will always consider a DO, and at some, if you are a DO, you have to be somewhat better at everything than the average MD that they interview, in order to be considered.

Also, while I consider myself competitive, I know that I am not the perfect candidate, and Im sure that being a DO may not have much of an impact on rejection at some places. I may not have enough research, my PS may be too bland, etc. I try not to blame my rejections on being a DO, but it is hard when you see people with lesser 'stats' getting interviews you were denied, for whatever reason. It stings no matter where you went to medical school. But medical school is a part of residency apps, and the perceived caliber of your school needs to be considered as well. Its an important factor in residency selection.

Its easy to argue for either side.

Just some ramblings as I sift through this crazy process. I hope nobody takes offense.

edit: and by the way, just because people are discussing a subject doesnt mean that they need you to drop in and offer your 'advice' to "move on". Im not sure thats really the answer here.

However, now I know just to move on.

Thanks.

Aww.... did I hurt your wittle feelings? Do you need to discuss them? Do you need your mommy to hold your hand while you pee? Despite your not so subtle warning to butt out, you're going to hear commentary that you don't agree with. Sorry my insecure friend, you can't tell people not to post their opinions.

After all your confused ramblings, you came to the same conclusion---moving on is a good thing. You're a DO--so what--deal with it. You got rejected by top tier programs--oh well, it happens. It's unfortunate you didn't get interviews at the top tier programs; instead of whining why don't you go to the ones you got and try to impress them?

Certainly no feelings hurt here. I got plenty of interviews, all of which rejected plenty of MD applicants. Im not whining, and I definitely dont need your sophomoric commentary. Im trying to be a little more diplomatic these days, as I think it will be good for me. You could take a lesson and just not worry about what other people have to say about something that likely doesnt affect you (unless you got fewer interviews than you thought and you blame me). Anesthesia is obviously more competitive this year, and the OP decided to comment on how little chance we had at matching at a top program. Of course I would respond to this, since he essentially called me out (or people in my situation). Where do you fit in here? Perhaps I missed your background.

While I respond to your *****ic statements, dont let it confuse you. I could not care less about what you actually have to say.

Thanks again.

sgp5 said:
First, I am a 4th year MD student at a top 20 med school on the East coast. I am in the top 15% of my class and got a 248+ on both USMLE Step 1 and 2. [Go Kaplan!] I am currently interviewing at all the so-called "top programs" (mostly in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region) and have had many interactions with DO studs. Guess what....I COULD CARE LESS IF MY COLLEAGUE IS AN MD OR DO. If our DO colleagues can make the USMLE cutoffs, then they are more than qualified from a knowledge standpoint to work anywhere. The point of the interview is to assess personal skills, and most of the candidates I have met have been as personable or MORE personable than others in the group. Trust me, at my med school I AM SICK AND TIRED OF INFLATED ATTITUDES AND EGOS.

Do the "big boy schools" have to admit DO's? NO. Some do not. But who cares if they do.

OK. I'm done. You can get back to fighting amongst each other.

thanx for sharing your stats and that u attend a top school. :rolleyes:

Idiopathic said:
Certainly no feelings hurt here. I got plenty of interviews, all of which rejected plenty of MD applicants. Im not whining, and I definitely dont need your sophomoric commentary. Im trying to be a little more diplomatic these days, as I think it will be good for me. You could take a lesson and just not worry about what other people have to say about something that likely doesnt affect you (unless you got fewer interviews than you thought and you blame me). Anesthesia is obviously more competitive this year, and the OP decided to comment on how little chance we had at matching at a top program. Of course I would respond to this, since he essentially called me out (or people in my situation). Where do you fit in here? Perhaps I missed your background.

While I respond to your *****ic statements, dont let it confuse you. I could not care less about what you actually have to say.Thanks again.

Based on a true story:
"Even though I read your posts, don't be an idiot like me, I don't really read what you write. By the way, thanks again"

Wow, you're just chock full of contradictions, aren't you? Not whining? Did you look at your posts in this thread? Each of your posts is ambivalence personified. Getting called out as you say by the OP? I didn't see idiopathic written in the OP... Guess you're sensitive, perceive yourself as the defender of the 'idiopathic way' and disguise it as diplomacy. When you see an opinion differing from your own, you take it as a personal attack.

As for my sophomoric commentary, "nah-uh! I know you are but what am I to infinity!". I love you man--you're like the bald girlfriend I never had who can't decide which dress to wear because another girl might critique it.

Last post.

The OP made a point to say "Hey, you DO's are screwed at the top programs, just so you know." Why wouldn't this make me defensive, since thats where I applied?

Your one-liners are really great. They make me realize just how little you understand. Pretty much everything you've said has been an attack or a poor interpretation of someone else's statement. I wish you could contribute something positive to the discussion here, but it doesnt seem as though its likely. You do have a history of slagging DO's anyway, so I can see this is probably going to go nowhere.

Good luck to you in the match. I suppose you'll need it.

Idiopathic said:
Your one-liners are really great. Good luck to you in the match. I suppose you'll need it.

Thank you, I like my one-liners also! See how much you've learned by having fun with me? Who says you won't learn anything in your fourth year? I can tell these posts hit close to home since you're frustrated to the point that you can't resist responding to my comments. However, throughout this process of my ridiculing your indecisiveness, you eventually stopped feeling sorry for yourself and grew some hair on that shiny scrotum. Ok Idiot-san, you may leave the dojo although there is much more I can ridicule you for. I'm so proud of you--like a daddy who learns his son has finally banged his first girl.

Thanks for the well wishes but don't need luck in the match since I'm already in one of those top tier programs.

Come on guys - let's play nice together. Everyone hates to listen to the students bicker amongst themselves. I really do not want to have lock or delete this thread, but if the childish bantering continues, you will leave me no choice.

Oh...& for those of you think it'll be funny to bash me, my moderating style, my mother or any other childish BS - I will will let ya know now, I couldn't give a $hit what you think! :laugh:

Hehe... cool. I was just having some fun with Idiosyncrasy--he's too uptight.