DO friendly allopathic Hemoc residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorsdo2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need some help here. I am a DO student and have taken the USMLE Step 1 with a score of 236 and 98 and Comlex was 660 and 93. I am interested in Hemoc and want to know if I need to go on and take step 2 cs and ck to apply for fellowships in hemoc after i finish a DO residency in internal med. So basically do allopathic fellowships, particularly most hemoc fellowships, require me to take the USMLE exams?

Second, what are some of the more DO friendly allopathic hemoc fellowships?

I am trying to stay within the DO residency programs so I can to avoid adding the extra internship year required by the AOA. If I went allopathic it seems to me I would have to essentially do 2 internship years as my first in the MD program would not meet the AOA requirements.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Kyle H
OMSIII LECOM-B

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to stay within the DO residency programs so I can to avoid adding the extra internship year required by the AOA.

This isn't the whole story. You can get your residency and intern year approved through the AOA if you follow Resolution 42. upwards of 92% are approved this way, but this is only necessary if you wish to practice in the 5 states which require an Osteopath intern year. If you're not going to those 5 states, you do not need any approval.

Also, I'm not clear by your post if you understand that Heme-onc is a subspecialty which you complete after an Internal medicine residency.

I am re-posting this as my last didnt go through...

Yeah, I am aware it is a fellowship. My thinking is that with there being only 2 hemoc combined DO fellowships, I must also apply to allopathic programs. I anticipated this and therefore have taken USMLE step 1 but now I am trying to determine how I will look being a DO student completing a DO residency in internal medicine to an allopathic fellowship program.

If there are few DO friendly allopathic hemoc fellowships, I must take step 2 cs and ck, then apply to allopathic residencies and then take step 3... all the while taking my comlex boards as well. If I can avoid this, as anyone would want, then thats great.

As for resolution 42, I had no idea so many were sucessful in not having to comply with the new guidelines. I thought it was only for a narrow range of hardship applicants.

Thank you for your response!

Kyle

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be careful with Resolution 42. They published an article last year in the JAOA that I will look for it tonight. Anyhow, it broke down by reason for not doing an AOA internship and the percent of each being approved. I don't know the exact number off the top of my head but I believe the total percent for all of the reasons was only 75% or so getting approved.