DO friendly allopathic residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPJ13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if there were any that exist in EM?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that a shorter list would be "DO unfriendly" programs. Visit emra.org for info on how many DOs a program has taken in the last 5 years. Though keep in mind many programs listed as having taken 0 DOs have DOs in their program. You can augment info found on emra.org by looking at current residents on each program's website.

Members don't see this ad :)
BNZN is right that who is UNfriendly is a better question.

I applied in the NYC area, and it was pretty DO friendly (with a few exceptions). We had a slightly contentious thread about who isn't a while ago: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=584980&highlight=nyc+DO

The PDs at Stony Brook and Methodist are DOs.

One thing I like to add though is that while MANY programs are D.O. friendly, quite a few do not accept COMLEX score. So, that alone will eliminate many of the D.O. students who did not take the USMLE step I. So, if you a D.O. student, who is without a USMLE step I score, decided to do EM during your third year.... you're SOL. :)

I get that there are many schools that are DO friendly, but I was just wondering about the California area. I have read through other threads that residency programs around an area have a better knowledge of the surrounding schools, be it DO or MD.(Truth to this?) I was wondering if it would be wiser to go to a DO school in CA like Western than an MD school like Meharry if one wanted to apply to residency programs within CA.

I get that there are many schools that are DO friendly, but I was just wondering about the California area. I have read through other threads that residency programs around an area have a better knowledge of the surrounding schools, be it DO or MD.(Truth to this?) I was wondering if it would be wiser to go to a DO school in CA like Western than an MD school like Meharry if one wanted to apply to residency programs within CA.

Heres what Ive heard from a lowly MSII standpoint. I had a few friends go to the regional UCI EM workshop for students (I go to a DO school). When they asked the PDs about d.os applying apparently the PDs stated well "we don't know too much about the D.O curricula , you need to stand out etc. ) And a lot of the students there were from Western which is pretty heavily represented in other specialty residency programs in socal. From my standpoint it'd seem that going to an MD school will always open more doors, but you should go where your most comfortable. Socal is def. a competitive market.