DO friendly Gas programs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc3341

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any DO friendly gas programs, especially in the South easet---Florida would be nice??

If anyone knows of any, lets start a list

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs will consider DO applications. Even some of the top programs will take 1-2 DO's per year if they have strong enough numbers, such as Brigham and Women's, Penn, Hopkins, Columbia, U. Washington, Yale, Wake Forest, & Barnes Jewish.

Other top programs will not take DO's under any circumstances, such as the top Cali programs (Stanford, UCSF, UCSD, UCLA), Duke, Mass General, and Cornell (although Cornell will take Carribean graduates).

I don't know much about the top midwest programs (Michigan, Mayo Clinic), but maybe someone else can elaborate on those.

peace...

Awesome, Thanks for the info...If anyone has info regarding Jackson Memorial Hospital and Univ of Miami's Gas program please share any relevant info!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed in Miami, there was one applicant from the DO school in Ft.Lauderdale. I am a caribbean grad and I got a spot there ('05). I imagine that if you have a decent track record they will consider you.

several DOs matched at U fo M this year.

I know a few DO's who interviewed @ UCSF, UCSD, UCLA, Stanford. Not sure about Duke or MGH. Michigan definitely takes DO's, I really liked the program. Mayo seemed pretty DO friendly. The PD there was super friendly and he told me right off that that was simply not a concern (I believe him, but that's my take).

Just apply, who knows?

i got an interview from u of maimi but cancelled it. so they definitely interested in DOs

Wow, thats defientely encouraging since I was born and raised in miami and am planning on attending NSUCOm nexst year in Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks

For those DO's that matched, did they take the USMLE and COMLEX? Or just COMLEX? I am having trouble deciding if I should take both. Or will it be a waste of money to take the USMLE?

Thanks

I know that the 2008 Northwestern anethsiology class has at least one DO grad.

For those of you that took the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX, what did you do extra for the USMLE. I was informed that there is alot more genetics and behavioral science on the USMLE. What resources did you use for the topics on the USMLE that are not as prominent on the COMLEX?

Members don't see this ad :)
SInce there is really only one review book specific for the COMLEX, the Savarice OMM book, you will be studying from sources specific to the USMLE. Just add in a day or two for the stats stuff and you should be fine.

Your COMLEX score will mean very little unless you are going for osteopathic anesthesiology. Study for the USMLE and think of the COMLEX as a warm up exam.

I already took the COMLEX last year and I am now planning to take the USMLE 2 months from now, but I did not study that much Biochemistry at the time. Can anybody tell me what books are very helpful for this subject?

Vent....can you give me any advice on how the study for the genetics and biochem for the USMLE. I feel that those are my weakest subjects.

Thanks

Vent,

I meant I was going to take the USMLE Step I since I did not take it next year (per recommendations from program directors). Do you know which book is good for Anesthesia?

Hey VentDependent,

I am just about to start rotations and I have an interest in Anesthesiology. What made you decide to go into the field and how many rotations did you do in Anesth.?

1) Being an acute source of comfort for my patients. One of the differences between a good and an outstanding anesthesiologist is the ability to accurately convey info to their patients while alleviating anxiety and making them feel looked after. Having your body sliced open by a bunch of strangers is an unimaginable prospect and its scary as hell...you are (should be) more effective than any sort of sedative.

2) Critical Care makes outstanding clinicians. Not applicable if you are going to be doing knees in a surgicenter, but right now thats not my direction. Good CC docs affect out post-op outcome in a most positive way. I plan on doing a fellowship.

3) Remaining connected to patients throughout surgery via monitors. Watching the hemodynamics unfold and reacting appropriately/preemptively is a highly attractive aspect of the field.

4) Procedural interventions. I was an anatomy TA and did an advanced disection course. I found satisfaction in using my knowlege in placing lines (cent/art/piv), intubation, and neuraxial/regional blocks. Non procedural interventions (fluids/pharmacologic agents) require the integration of knowlege into interpretation of patient status, not just regurgitation of facts. Cool stuff.

5) I'm attracted to the idea and practice of mainting logical thought in the face of impending chaos. It is a skill I look forward to sharpening during my stint in this field. Its important to always have a plan of action and to anticipate danger always...I don't want to be unprepared as an all to frequent "go to guy."

6) I enjoy being part of a team as I attain satisfaction in watching things run smoothly, no matter what situation I am in. I don't need pats on the back or recognition for my efforts, even from my patients (most of whom don't know/remember you are a doctor)...I could care less and so could my underdeveloped atrophied ego.

7) Ability to work with one patient at a time.

There are other reasons, but those are the main ones. I did 2 rotations. One would have been enough and I should have done another ICU month. No worries though. I did get to see just how different 2 programs could be. Best of luck and congrats on chosing a wonderful field.

Thanks Vent Great reply

hey great article and thoughts!!!

just like to know where did you do your two rotations of anesthesia??

did you interview those places???

thank you.

Not sure which article you are refering to yu-gi, but I can tell you where I rotated at.

1) UWashington @ Harborview. Highly recommend it. One of the best rotations I've done. Tons of procedures and teaching with laid back staff at your doorstep. Invited for interview but declined because of distance to Illinois (Chicago = Home).

2)Northwestern. Got straight up bonged from that program. Only ranked advanced positions...No biggie as I'm equally glad I matched at Rush. Was there over interview season which was a stupid move on my part...missed a lot of days.

Venty