DO friendly ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DOindahouse

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
where are teh DO friendly ortho spots, MD or DO spots, i dont think it matters to me, i just want to be an ortho. Do i have a chance, i have decent boards, comlex was 565, usmle will be in febuary. any advice
 
Best of luck! I would love to hear how you do!
 
i think that being a DO anywhere will make you a good candidate for ortho because we already know so much baout boimechanics and such. the head of ortho at Dartmouth is DO. there are many good osteoprograms. check DO online
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure what places are DO friendly. Its an extremely competitive field for MD's let alone for DO's trying to match allo ortho. I do NOT want to discourage you, but have a back up plan just in case. Rotate at the programs you want to attend and shine like my gold teeth. Convince your school to allow you to do most of your electives in ortho. Get your face out there. That'll increase your odds.

You should plan on getting at least a 230 USMLE I (I doubt that allo ortho PD's care about COMLEX scores) to get some interviews. You will need some phat letters as well. I can say that somone from our DO class last year matched at maricopa county allo ortho. So it can be done, its just going to take some serious effort on your part.
 
being allo or osteo spot doesnt totally make a diff to me, at the end of the day, im gonna be an orthopod right?
tho if i do apply allo, should i take usmle 2 also.
 
Contact the programs you are interested in and ask if they require a completed step II to match there (the vast majority of places do not). However, If you score less than 230 on your step I, you may want to take the step II and smoke it. I'd rotate at Maricopa County in AZ if I were you since they have a DO in their program.

For osteo ortho its a requisite that you rotate there and shine like a mo' fo. Most places require 90% COMLEX I and that'll land you an interview. Don't know much about the programs but the one at St. Vincents in Toledo seem to be solid as far as an osteopathic surgery residency is concerned

Don't put a bunch of pressure on yourself though man. Enjoy the ride, keep up your enthusiasm, study hard, rotate everywhere you think you have a shot, and the rest will fall into place. 😉
 
im at the lovely western uni right now, and halfway thru my 3rd yr. its not until 4th that we can rotate where we want to. so in my first months of 4th ill do my orthos.......lol i havent even had orhto yet, only knowledge i have of it is, cuz pops is an ortho. my other field of interest is cardio, but it would have to be interventional, which i hear is also a pain to get.....
 
Some one matched into Ortho at Mayo from my school last year...so I guess it can be done
 
Last year we had a student match at NYMC St. Vincent CMC for Ortho. It can definitely be done. This kid was one of the top in the class though so you better bust your butt if you want allo.

(I am editing my last post. We apparently have 2 students in St. Vincents Ortho Surg program. One is currently PGY-3, and the other is PGY-1 completing his surgical internship)