DO GI fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aloha Kid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if DOs match into allopathic GI fellowships very easily?

I am currently debating whether or not to do an ostepathic vs. allopathic IM residency. By selecting an allopathic IM residency, I would virtually be shut out of all Osteopathic GI fellowships. Osteopathic GI fellowships only take Osteopathic IM grads.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

There are very few osteopathic GI fellowships. GI fellowships are difficult to obtain. If I were you, I would do the following based on accounts of people to whom I've spoken:

1. ACGME IM residency at University-based program
2. research is key during your residency!! (no need to start early)

It is estimated that approx. 50% of IM residents may stay at one's home institution to continue in fellowship training. That being more or less accurate, your chances are logically greater if you do a residency at a large program that has fellowships to begin with. Moreover, even if you don't stay there at your residency site for fellowship, presumably you have strong letters from GI faculty at your site which may help you get what you want elsewhere. Most individuals from good university based programs do end up getting what they want. That is not to say that there is no chance if you go the other route (e.g. community based IM program), just that if you want to play the numbers, your better bet is a larger program. As you know, there are anecdotal exceptions to this...

Thanks for the info.

Just realized that a DO who fulfills an allopathic residency in IM can still apply to DO fellowships as long as the allopathic residency is AOA approved.