12YearOldKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
Status
Dentist
OK this is probably one of those stupid questions that you all get asked over and over, but I really don't know the answer.

Dentists and dental students spend a good portion of their day looking through loupes - usually with a 2.5-4.5x magnification. Can this weaken your eyes or make you more dependent on magnification? I can't think of how this would happen, but it is something I have heard from other people.

Thanks, 12yearoldkid

ucbsowarrior

10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status
12YearOldKid said:
OK this is probably one of those stupid questions that you all get asked over and over, but I really don't know the answer.

Dentists and dental students spend a good portion of their day looking through loupes - usually with a 2.5-4.5x magnification. Can this weaken your eyes or make you more dependent on magnification? I can't think of how this would happen, but it is something I have heard from other people.

Thanks, 12yearoldkid

According to these two low lives it does....goto this post post

canuck_OD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 4, 2002
Visit site
Status
ucbsowarrior said:
According to these two low lives it does....goto this post post

Maybe taking a pause and collecting yourself would help. To actually answer the poster's question ... No glasses do not weaken or hurt your eyes.

About the Ads

ucbsowarrior

10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status
canuck_OD said:
Maybe taking a pause and collecting yourself would help. To actually answer the poster's question ... No glasses do not weaken or hurt your eyes.

actually i didn't answer the posters question, but canuck_od's answer is incorrect. please review some literature. i won't enlighten any of you on this topic anymore

ucbsowarrior

10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status
ariel winter said:
huh? :confused: please refrain from such comments. thanks :thumbup:

no prob :D

just focus on your principals of optometry/procedures course in year one. that's one of the weedout course at neco. :smuggrin:

xmattODx

15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
sco1styear said:
Could someone who is capable of answering this question please do so?
This is a complicated question. I would say that the answer to the OP's question is no it won't weaken your eyes, however, I firmly believe that myopia correction can indeed make your eyes worse and rxing minus for anyone needs to be done with caution and education. So to the OP using loupes won't affect your vision and I'll leave my answer at that but will try to answer any further questions if anyone cares to listen to my rambling.

ituryu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
Nigeria
Status
xmattODx said:
This is a complicated question. I would say that the answer to the OP's question is no it won't weaken your eyes, however, I firmly believe that myopia correction can indeed make your eyes worse and rxing minus for anyone needs to be done with caution and education. So to the OP using loupes won't affect your vision and I'll leave my answer at that but will try to answer any further questions if anyone cares to listen to my rambling.
Well I would agree with you but what I think the poster should know is that the binocular function can be affected by glasses, but what your dental friends are using is a single vision aid which helps to provide very good retinal image with respect to the viewing object, i.e, it puts the required image on the retina so that we can see what we are view, but if it's a binocular viewing aid not used for the specific prescribed task, then there would be no harmony in retinal correspondence, strain/asthenopia, as the image would not fall on Pannus fusional space.
I think I would stop here, and pray I am right!!!

Ben Chudner

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2005
Rochester, NY
Status
Optometrist
ituryu said:
Well I would agree with you but what I think the poster should know is that the binocular function can be affected by glasses, but what your dental friends are using is a single vision aid which helps to provide very good retinal image with respect to the viewing object, i.e, it puts the required image on the retina so that we can see what we are view, but if it's a binocular viewing aid not used for the specific prescribed task, then there would be no harmony in retinal correspondence, strain/asthenopia, as the image would not fall on Pannus fusional space.
I think I would stop here, and pray I am right!!!
The loupes used by dentists are binocular and are specific to the prescribed task.

ituryu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
Nigeria
Status
Ben Chudner said:
The loupes used by dentists are binocular and are specific to the prescribed task.
So I guess I haven't rambled in riddles?

About the Ads