Do GOB chemistry sequence classes count as pre-med prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TechToMed

Reaction score
Hello!

This question is obviously best suited for my advisors or the schools I will be aplying to, but I am curious if anyone has any insight into using a general/organic/biochemistry two course sequence as a pre-med requirement? I took the two chemistry courses below when I was looking into applying to PA school and while they obviously don’t satisfy all the requirements needed for pre-med, I am curious if they are of any use at all.

CHEM-131 - Principles of Chemistry
Introduces general inorganic chemistry. Major topics include measurements, atomic structure, bonding, chemical periodicity, stoichiometry, gas laws, solution chemistry, acid/base chemistry, and equilibrium. May meet requirements in Nursing and Health Careers programs. Three hours of lecture and two hours of laboratory per week.

CHEM-132 - Principles of Organic & Biological Chemistry
This is the second course in a traditional two-semester General, Organic, and Biochemistry (GOB) sequence. Emphasizes nomenclature and functional group reactivity. Addresses the structure and function of lipids, carbohydrates, proteins, and nucleic acids at an introductory level. There are three hours of lecture and three hours of laboratory each week

Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Highly doubt it, they might satisfy some portions of General Chemistry requirements but I wouldn't count on that.

Hello!

This question is obviously best suited for my advisors or the schools I will be aplying to, but I am curious if anyone has any insight into using a general/organic/biochemistry two course sequence as a pre-med requirement? I took the two chemistry courses below when I was looking into applying to PA school and while they obviously don’t satisfy all the requirements needed for pre-med, I am curious if they are of any use at all.

CHEM-131 - Principles of Chemistry
Introduces general inorganic chemistry. Major topics include measurements, atomic structure, bonding, chemical periodicity, stoichiometry, gas laws, solution chemistry, acid/base chemistry, and equilibrium. May meet requirements in Nursing and Health Careers programs. Three hours of lecture and two hours of laboratory per week.

CHEM-132 - Principles of Organic & Biological Chemistry
This is the second course in a traditional two-semester General, Organic, and Biochemistry (GOB) sequence. Emphasizes nomenclature and functional group reactivity. Addresses the structure and function of lipids, carbohydrates, proteins, and nucleic acids at an introductory level. There are three hours of lecture and three hours of laboratory each week

Any help is appreciated!

The main concern I (as an instructor) have with a GOB course is that they do not cover all of the topics that you need to know for the MCAT. My opinion is that they are good in the sense that they provide you with an overview of the material, but they are not sufficient as a pre-requisite.