DO gsurg applicant pool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dissected

All bleeding stops eventually
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed how many people are applying to DO general surgery programs this year? It seems like every other person I run into is trying to get into this field..there's only so many spots! Am I the only one who has sensed this?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else noticed how many people are applying to DO general surgery programs this year? It seems like every other person I run into is trying to get into this field..there's only so many spots! Am I the only one who has sensed this?

Seems like most people in my class want EM. I know quite a few people wanting rads, both osteo and allo. Most of the people (excluding me) who originally wanted ortho are now switching to FP-->sports med.

Nope, I only know handful of people. Most want EM or IM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year the various programs I interviewed at told me they recieved between about 130-200 applications. Apparently this has been increasing fairly rapidly since work hour restrictions were created..

Last year the various programs I interviewed at told me they recieved between about 130-200 applications. Apparently this has been increasing fairly rapidly since work hour restrictions were created..

I always wondered how many of the gsurg applicants are applying to gen surg as backup to say neurosurg or ortho?