Do hospitals/community pharmacies like having pharmacy students/interns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steveysmith54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The hospital where I worked didn't have any. Since they don't have to pay anything to 4th year student, why not have some around as extra help?

If the dean of a school calls a hospital/community pharmacy to ask for one of her/his students to do a rotation there would they oppose? I know this depends on the hospital/person in charge, but is there any reason why they will oppose?

Members don't see this ad.

aren't you a pharmacy student/intern?

but are there are any reasons why they will oppose? 1 "are" is enough.

They need to be preceptors. I'm not sure how that works, but I think they might be required to do something in addition to having their licenses.

Members don't see this ad :)
They need to be preceptors. I'm not sure how that works, but I think they might be required to do something in addition to having their licenses.
All they need to have is an active license in good standing. The college has requirements of their own.

On CA board of pharm website it says they don't.
I don't live in CA, therefore I can't answer your question. Maybe you should have stated that you live in CA in the original post???

We have preceptors in La. Regarding the question, maybe they don't want to train additional people. Volunteers could even be against the hospital's insurance policy. I just don't know enough information about the hospital you work for and the state you live in to answer the question well.

The 4th year rotation should never be considered as free labor. That is not the objective. However, having a student rotate through your location takes a lot of effort and time for preceptors. That's why some directors and managers are against it.

Also, it's not productive trying to get students who are not trained to get labor out of them.

Established rotation sites are usually teaching institutions with resources to accomodate teaching. That's why I feel UCSF and USC have an edge over other schools. Because it's been established for so long.. even before SDN1977 was born... :smuggrin:

I'm going to say no. Most sites seem to not like having students.

I will love having students :D At least for a bit.

The 4th year rotation should never be considered as free labor. That is not the objective. However, having a student rotate through your location takes a lot of effort and time for preceptors. That's why some directors and managers are against it.

Also, it's not productive trying to get students who are not trained to get labor out of them.

Established rotation sites are usually teaching institutions with resources to accomodate teaching. That's why I feel UCSF and USC have an edge over other schools. Because it's been established for so long.. even before SDN1977 was born... :smuggrin:

Well....I'm not sure they were established before I was born.....but, certainly before I got into pharmacy!

Yes - being a preceptor takes lots of time & effort. A pharmacy budget is based on the number of FTE's which is required to do the job - not to teach. Teaching someting takes about twice as long as it takes to do it yourself. Thats why you'll find when there's an emergency situation, the preceptor will take over & explain later rather than have you do it.

Thanks for the responses. I understand it does take quite a bit of time to learn Hospital pharmacy. however, i was able to pick up retail in 2 weeks. I wonder if retail places are more willing to take in students.

Thanks for the responses. I understand it does take quite a bit of time to learn Hospital pharmacy. however, i was able to pick up retail in 2 weeks. I wonder if retail places are more willing to take in students.
Only if you can count like this: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90. Just kidding. There are other things you can learn on a retail rotation, but the hardest part to master would probably be the computer system.

At UF, we have 11 months of rotations and only 4 weeks of that is retail. I don't think there's a really big need for retail preceptors.

Wanna tell that to some of my preceptors?

Bring em on... If they're wanting free labor out of you, they're not "preceptors" rather low life parasites.

At UF, we have 11 months of rotations and only 4 weeks of that is retail. I don't think there's a really big need for retail preceptors.

Well, I think there is likely to be a bigger need now that ACPE is requiring more introductory practice experience hours, and I imagine that almost every school will do some of that with a retail setting.

Only if you can count like this: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90. Just kidding. There are other things you can learn on a retail rotation, but the hardest part to master would probably be the computer system.

I always spend more time counseling patients than filling rx. Techs can fill the rx, but my store using me as a counseling slave--good practice though.

I always spend more time counseling patients than filling rx. Techs can fill the rx, but my store using me as a counseling slave--good practice though.

Same thing happened to me. Your job, stay by the out window and counsel, if you can. The pharmacist believed it was good practice, and also, gave her more help because I could answer a number of simple questions.