Do I actually need to be checking my application portals regularly?

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
Nov 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I haven't been doing so because I assumed if I get an II they will email me about it.

dkt888

5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Last year, some of the portals had info before I got the email. However, I always received an email to let me know about something.

I would get in the habit of checking the spam folder in your email though. One of my IIs ended up there, and I didn't notice until 4 or 5 days later.

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I regularly check them out of force of habit.
But I got my Jefferson II through the portal before I got an email about it.....

nwts

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I also got my Jefferson II through the portal before I did through email, but the email came only a day or two later.

Reactions: ciestar

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

NonTrad16

2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I have a google doc with all portals and passwords (for those pesky colleges with numerous ids that won't autofill) and scroll through them in 5 min tops. So far it's been a very boring task, though the only way I knew I was placed on hold by GW. It seems the automatic systems don't email at normal times either, so... We're never safe...

If you don't want to check... More power to ya!

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Just use chrome, it saves every log in so when I open the page username and password are all filled in. Can't imagine anything else...

MisterFutu

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I applied to around 40-45 schools, both allopathic and osteopathic. From my experience and what I have read, it seems that very few schools will not notify you for the secondaries through email, but all schools will email you if you are an interview candidate.

Am I wrong?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I applied to around 40-45 schools, both allopathic and osteopathic. From my experience and what I have read, it seems that very few schools will not notify you for the secondaries through email, but all schools will email you if you are an interview candidate.

Am I wrong?
Saying all schools and assuming that is true means you can easily miss an interview invite. Check ur portals

goldy490

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 21, 2015
SE US
Status
I know for Florida International University didnt do an email notification for alot of their II's

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I would hope a medical student, medical resident or attending physician has the integrity and professionalism to at look at the progress notes on a patient record at each round or day. Premeds should be checking their application portals at least every other day. Motivation, commitment, and achievement are the three most important characteristics of a successful applicant. They all start as a premed in doing so

Last edited:

Pastamahn

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status

Am I wrong?
:eek::bored: