Do I count as out of state or in state?

Started by Shuisazn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Shuisazn

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I was wondering if I counted as an in-state applicant or out of state applicant if I'm going to undergrad in Georgia (Emory Univeristy.) I've lived in CA my whole life, and plan on going back after undergrad (of course grades and stats will have to be good) but I'm not sure where my state of residence would be counted as. Also, is it harder to get into med school if I'm coming from an out of state undergrad? Thanks so much!!
 
Residency is usually 12+ months of living in the state. I had to attend community college my first UG semester due to this little discrepancy (we moved halfway through my senior year of HS)... However, if you never really changed your residency there beyond college, I think you'd still be considered a CA resident. Did you ever apply for a GA license, or do you still have CA? It probably can't hurt to talk with Emory to discuss their thoughts on this. I'm sure they could shed light on the subject.

https://students.ucsd.edu/finances/fees/residence/residence-qa.html
 
This should be in pre-allo/do, but if you are a resident then you are 'in-state'. If you've become a resident of Georgia since moving there, you'd likely be considered out of state with strong ties in California. If you're still a Cali resident, you'll be seen as in-state there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I still count as in-state then! Thanks! As for the getting into med school part, does where you go for undergrad matter or is it just your state of residency?
 
Um, it only matters if it's unaccredited or a community college for all your sciences, I think. I mean, the latter you gotta do what you gotta do, but I don't think a degree from Bob Jones would get you into UC Meds. 😉 Emory is a pretty respectable school all around. I am originally from GA and had several super intelligent friends that went there. Just do well on all the requirements and you should be fine. 🙂 Atlanta is a great city and you should have a lot of ways to get your shadowing and/or volunteer/clinical experience. If not at Emory itself, there are several hospitals in the area to explore.

*Note: I have no personal experience with UC and its practices, outside of my research here and how hard it is to get into them. I would not think that they are loyalist to where you do your UG, so long as you are a strong candidate.