DO I D.O?- Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gala10802

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been lurking here for quite a while and have found plentiful of useful information. I have a few questions if anyone would mind answering. I am currently wrapping up my BSc in Biology, and have a 3.50 GPA in Montreal, Canada. I started out super slow with a 2.2GPA but have managed in last year and half to only get a single B+ (with rest being all A's). I'll be taking my MCAT this summer and hoping that the upward trend continues in order to apply for D.O schools. My questions are:

1. I have not taken 5 classes (or full course load) during all the semesters, so how would that affect my situation? (however I was 'full time' in each semester)

2. Being Canadian, what sort of disadvantages am I facing applying to US D.O schools, and how significant are these challenges?

3. What are ideal extra curricular activities that you would recommend (other than hospital and one-on-one tutoring that I have been involved in)?

It would be awesome to hear back from anyone! Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Gala, I'm a Canadian too! Full course load didn't hinder my IIs or acceptances. TBH, even though as a Canadian there is only a dozen friendly schools, I felt that I had no disadvantages (had similar GPA as you). You should get a dozen or two shadowing hours under a DO and maybe attend a COMSA seminar if it is in your school. Visit StudentDO.ca. Good resource for us Canadians. You should definitely apply to MSUCOM (best school), no bias. Good job on the turn around too.

Hey Gala, I'm a Canadian too! Full course load didn't hinder my IIs or acceptances. TBH, even though as a Canadian there is only a dozen friendly schools, I felt that I had no disadvantages (had similar GPA as you). You should get a dozen or two shadowing hours under a DO and maybe attend a COMSA seminar if it is in your school. Visit StudentDO.ca. Good resource for us Canadians. You should definitely apply to MSUCOM (best school), no bias. Good job on the turn around too.

Nesrizona, thanks a lot for the reply! I deeply appreciate it. Would you mind sharing your path to MSUCOM (MCAT, ECs, did you apply after your MSc or Bach)?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian here - went to DO school, in my second year of residency now. I'm looking at jobs now and not having any difficulties what so ever, so I would highly recommend going for it.

Edit: Sleep deprived me neglected to answer any of your questions. You were a full time student so you'll be fine. Disadvantage is that you have a smaller school pool but with your GPA you'll be fine if you do well on the MCAT. Other big challenge is paying for it, but Canada will give student loans and you can do the rest with private loans.

Extracurrics - shadow a doc (if not a DO that's ok, schools know they're sparse in Canada), and then definitely volunteer at a hospital and try to hit 100+ hours.

Reactions: 1 user
....You should definitely apply to MSUCOM (best school), no bias. Good job on the turn around too.

As someone who has lurked on a handful of threads this cycle, and been working through the cycle myself, I would agree that MSUCOM may be the best DO school for Canadian applicants.

I have only met one Canadian applicant on the interview trail, and it was at KCUCOM (I visited 7 schools thus far.) But, it seems like there have been lots of Canadian applicants landing interviews in the MSUCOM application thread from this year. It may be a good idea to inquire in there to see what people say as well:

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...y-msucom-discussion-thread-2016-2017.1196893/

In general, D.O. schools seem to love reinvention stories, so I think you should have a good chance applying next cycle (keep that upward trend going.) Do well on your MCAT (balanced 505+) and I think academically you will be in good shape.

Not sure whether or not the part-time vs. full time will matter.. Someone else will have to chime in on that.

EC's to consider:
1.) Research - not essential for the DO school application, but always good to be able to say you've tried it (IMO.)
2.) Shadowing - If you can get a DO LOR it would help you.. not sure how difficult that is for Canadians. Other than that, just any physician shadowing
3.) Community-Based Volunteerism - MSUCOM loves these type of EC's.. plenty of ways to get involved too.. just find something you might like to do (e.g. habitat for humanity, red cross, homeless shelter volunteering, etc.)

As someone who has lurked on a handful of threads this cycle, and been working through the cycle myself, I would agree that MSUCOM may be the best DO school for Canadian applicants.

I was be sarcastic in saying best school :) Gala I Pmed you my stats and a summary of my cycle. Merry christmas all :).