Do I even have a chance uGPA 2.56?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kawi609

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nontraditional Student MCAT: 521, uGPA: 2.58, gGPA: 4.0 sGPA: 4.0
I am kind of wondering if I have a chance at med school. So, failed first years of undergrad rebounded with an MBA in finance and master’s in quantitative finance both 4.0. I then enrolled in around 60 hours total of science classes and local university for biochem 1&2. I also have a great story high school dropout and had a lot of family death early years of college. I am not biased on DO or MD I just want to be a doctor. Do I have a have or is this all a pipe dream?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s not a pipe dream. You’ve shown you’ve matured and got your act together with great gpa and mcat. It will be how you craft your story (eg family death sparked interest in medicine, after learning about standards expected of med school matriculate I knew I was not up to par and had to demonstrate academic success, did this while trying to gain further insight into what a career in medicine involves and how it can transform lives by shadowing physicians and *insert clinical activity*)

I am kind of wondering if I have a chance at med school. So, failed first years of undergrad rebounded with an MBA in finance and master’s in quantitative finance both 4.0. I then enrolled in around 60 hours total of science classes and local university for biochem 1&2. I also have a great story high school dropout and had a lot of family death early years of college. I am not biased on DO or MD I just want to be a doctor. Do I have a have or is this all a pipe dream?
Wow, almost the same uGPA and MBA in finance that I had. Why do you have an MBA in finance AND a MS in finance? Was it just another year?

Is your uGPA from before you did your DIY post-bacc or after?

Never the less, you've shown good success since your initial issues so you have 2 options: 1) DO schools will be much more receptive to reinvention. Some low tier MD schools might be interested but no guarantees. The issue is that < 3.0 can get autoscreened and human eyes will never see your story.

Or, 2) Do an SMP program which can elevate your application and possibly help you matriculate into the associate medical school. This is what I did and it has worked out well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you indeed have a chance!

@Calizboosted76

Reactions: 2 users
Never give up! You definitely have a shot!

My cGPA was a 2.6 and sGPA was a 2.9 with a 506 MCAT and I was accepted to two DO schools this cycle. (No masters

Your MCAT paired with the academic success after your undergrad will do you for a solid cycle if you apply correctly.

Here is a link for DO schools and SMPs made by @paradoxic_toxic that helped me when creating a school list.

Also don’t feel intimidated by emailing schools and talking to them about your app. I was rejected to my school and I emailed them and got eyes on my application and was later invited and accepted.

Last, some advice that @Goro gave me was to always have a plan B. If you don’t get an acceptance somewhere then you need to already know what you’re going to do next to improve chances for the following

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, almost the same uGPA and MBA in finance that I had. Why do you have an MBA in finance AND a MS in finance? Was it just another year?

Is your uGPA from before you did your DIY post-bacc or after?

Never the less, you've shown good success since your initial issues so you have 2 options: 1) DO schools will be much more receptive to reinvention. Some low tier MD schools might be interested but no guarantees. The issue is that < 3.0 can get autoscreened and human eyes will never see your story.

Or, 2) Do an SMP program which can elevate your application and possibly help you matriculate into the associate medical school. This is what I did and it has worked out well.

1. I had my MBA in finance and wanted good recruitment opportunities so went to Vanderbilt for the MS finance to land an investment banking job.

2. I did a DIY post-bacc I had only taken two science classes in undergrad as a business major which was botany and general biology both were A’s. I pretty much did every science and chemistry class the community college had and finished biochem 1&2 at a near by college. I think my uGPA will be much higher but waiting for AMCAS to calculate everything.

1. I had my MBA in finance and wanted good recruitment opportunities so went to Vanderbilt for the MS finance to land an investment banking job.

2. I did a DIY post-bacc I had only taken two science classes in undergrad as a business major which was botany and general biology both were A’s. I pretty much did every science and chemistry class the community college had and finished biochem 1&2 at a near by college. I think my uGPA will be much higher but waiting for AMCAS to calculate everything.
You should find a spreadsheet online that can help you calculate your cGPA/sGPA yourself. You want to make sure you know where you are, if you taking additional classes will help, etc. For example, if you were at a 2.99 and 1 more A would boost you over a 3.0, that would totally be worth it. Don't wait on your application to figure out if you're ready to apply.