Do I have a chance at all? How can I make it work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwanttobelieve500

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am particularly nervous and depressed that I may never get to become a doctor at all. My GPA was so bad the past 2 years of college, so much so that I got dismissed from the university and appealed. This was caused due to a lot of involvement in extra curriculars, 2 volunteering shifts, research, my own game dev project (medically related), treasurer of 2 clubs, founding a fraternity, starting a new club on campus, etc. I dropped a good section of this list now and I am now super committed to achieving medicine, and I want to do this in 2 years, no post-bacc, though I will if I must.

I am about 1/2 way through the amount of credits that I need for graduation, and I WILL get A's in everything from here on out.

I am also shooting for the highest possible score in the MCAT 2015, which I will take next year (have already started studying for it)

I also want to make really good use of the grade replacement policy that DO has, and apply very broadly.

Be straight with me. Even doing all of this, do I have a chance in hell?

Thank you everyone,

IWantToBelieve

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got dismissed from the university and appealed. This was caused due to a lot of involvement in extra curriculars, 2 volunteering shifts, research, my own game dev project (medically related), treasurer of 2 clubs, founding a fraternity, starting a new club on campus, etc. I dropped a good section of this list now and I am now super committed to achieving medicine, and I want to do this in 2 years, no post-bacc, though I will if I must.

I am about 1/2 way through the amount of credits that I need for graduation, and I WILL get A's in everything from here on out.

I am also shooting for the highest possible score in the MCAT 2015, which I will take next year (have already started studying for it)

I also want to make really good use of the grade replacement policy that DO has, and apply very broadly.

Be straight with me. Even doing all of this, do I have a chance in hell?

Thank you everyone,

IWantToBelieve

Step 1: your involvement in ECs, volunteering, research, etc, did not cause you to be dismissed. You were dismissed because you failed to maintain minimum academic performance. Accept responsibility for your actions.

Yes, you will have a chance, but you need to 100% accept responsibility and not say it was "caused by" other stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the responses above. Having EC's are great and important, but if you can't put the time and dedication to your studies first, it's not worth it. They are called extra-curriculars for a reason. It's a good idea that you cut down the EC list. Don't be afraid to cut it a lot at first to ease back into your studies and make sure that you bring that gpa a great deal.

It sounds like you used all those social activities to avoid studying. There will be questions about your maturity, self-control and time management skills.

Reactions: 1 user