Do I have a chance at pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glencoco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know there's a ton of posts out there with the same exact question, so I truly appreciate anybody's input on this.
I would like to know if I have a chance at getting into pharmacy school, I just graduated with my B.S., with a 3.3 overall GPA. my pre req scores are NOT good at all.
Bio1-B
Bio2-B
Chem1-B
Chem2-C
OChem 1&2-C
Composition 1&2-A
Stats-A
Anatomy-B
physiology-B
I do realize I have not taken some of the pre reqs but that's only because my major was something else. I'm also planning on taking the PCAT this summer.
as for my extracurriculars:
- 6 months volunteer at a hospital.
-shadowing of many Dr's and Surgeon's
-working for 2 years at a dr's office
-been involved in two research projects and one of them was testing new meds.

any input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Average GPA for Pharm schools is 3.5 and you're close to it so you have a shot. Apply to low to mid tier schools and a few high ones.

I recommend you retake all the classes you recieved a C in and try to make them into A's !!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend you retake all the classes you recieved a C in and try to make them into A's !!
I have a couple of more pre req courses to take and I'm planning on getting A's on those, which will hopefully make my app look a little better, but retaking would take another year, and I really want to get in in 2016.

I have a couple of more pre req courses to take and I'm planning on getting A's on those, which will hopefully make my app look a little better, but retaking would take another year, and I really want to get in in 2016.

When are you planning on applying? Im kind of going through the same thing, to take more prereqs this fall to make my app look better, but if Im looking at 2016 admission, I will have to apply by late fall. Especially when I heard, the better your chances are if you apply early. So my courses in the fall, wont be a part of any decision making, unfortunately.

When are you planning on applying? Im kind of going through the same thing, to take more prereqs this fall to make my app look better, but if Im looking at 2016 admission, I will have to apply by late fall. Especially when I heard, the better your chances are if you apply early. So my courses in the fall, wont be a part of any decision making, unfortunately.
I'm planning on applying right after I take the PCAT (assuming I don't have to retake it) which will be late July/beginning August. I already have my bachelors, so I've taken almost everything, it's just a couple of classes I have left which I can take in the fall or winter, plus I'd like to take them AFTER I get in, that's what everyone is advising me to do.

Do you have an upward trend in your GPA overall? I basically had majority Cs for my prereq grades, but my GPA had improved over time and I did well on my PCAT. Ace the rest of your prereqs, get a good PCAT score, and maybe try to get some pharmacy experience. Your research projects sound unique, and I think that bolsters your app.

Do you have an upward trend in your GPA overall? I basically had majority Cs for my prereq grades, but my GPA had improved over time and I did well on my PCAT. Ace the rest of your prereqs, get a good PCAT score, and maybe try to get some pharmacy experience. Your research projects sound unique, and I think that bolsters your app.
Yes! Major improvement actually, my junior and senior year I made All A's except for one class! But I took all my Chems and bios in my freshman/sophomore year which is what brought my gpa down. May I ask what your PCAT score was? Cause I'm hoping I'll be able to get in with a ~80 PCAT score

Yes! Major improvement actually, my junior and senior year I made All A's except for one class! But I took all my Chems and bios in my freshman/sophomore year which is what brought my gpa down. May I ask what your PCAT score was? Cause I'm hoping I'll be able to get in with a ~80 PCAT score

That's good! I feel like that gives you something to address in your personal statement if you want to -- that you've shown growth and improvement since first year of undergrad, both in terms of grades and expanding into volunteering and medication research.

My overall PCAT was a 93, with much higher subscores in verbal and reading comprehension than chem and bio. So you're not completely boned if you score lower on some subjects, even science ;)

That's good! I feel like that gives you something to address in your personal statement if you want to -- that you've shown growth and improvement since first year of undergrad, both in terms of grades and expanding into volunteering and medication research.

My overall PCAT was a 93, with much higher subscores in verbal and reading comprehension than chem and bio. So you're not completely boned if you score lower on some subjects, even science ;)
Yes I am definitely mentioning it in my personal statement. I was just worried that my pre reqs grades were going to keep me from getting in. But I feel a little better now thanks to you!
93 is pretty awesome, don't know if I'll be able to get that to be honest, your verbal and RC subscores must've been amazing!

I would re take the the Chem's as well and then shoot for a great school. Dont worry about taking another year it is not a big deal you have many many more!

Also I assume you can still get into some school if you do not wish to retake the courses. Use Dr. Collins for the PCAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would re take the the Chem's as well and then shoot for a great school. Dont worry about taking another year it is not a big deal you have many many more!
I wouldn't mind retaking chem2 but I don't think I wanna go through orgo again, first time was painful enough. It makes me happy that you guys think I have a shot even with those stats! Thank you everyone!

I got into 4/4 schools with a 3.05, you'll be fine.

Do you mind sharing what schools you applied to? And your other stats? Like PCAT score, and degree type?

That is a great score! What books did you use to study and when did you take it?

Like nic24 said, what schools did you apply too? I'm trying to stay in state mainly cause of the tuition, what about your ECs? did you have bad pre req grades like I do?

My prereqs were not any better - But I took 18+ credit hours every semester, had an upward trend in GPA, took a few upper level sciences that were not prereqs (physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, immunology), and I had a degree.

I didn't think that this was anything special but apparently there are a lot of applicants who have never seen more than 14 credit hours in a semester at a community college.

I also scored a 90+ on the PCAT and have been working for a year as a tech.

It's not so much about the GPA as it is convincing the school that you are capable of handling their program. Sure my GPA sucked, but I was able to show that I can handle a large volume of upper level classes and I showed with the PCAT that I am academically capable.

If you have a 3.8 taking 12 credits a semester at community college they might question the difficulty of your undergrad, and then when they see your 60 PCAT all this does is confirm their suspicions. I am not at all saying that GPA is not important but the GPA has to be put in context - This is what the PCAT is for so use it to your advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My prereqs were not any better - But I took 18+ credit hours every semester, had an upward trend in GPA, took a few upper level sciences that were not prereqs (physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, immunology), and I had a degree.

I didn't think that this was anything special but apparently there are a lot of applicants who have never seen more than 14 credit hours in a semester at a community college.

It's not so much about the GPA as it is convincing the school that you are capable of handling their program. Sure my GPA sucked, but I was able to show that I can handle a large volume of upper level classes and I showed with the PCAT that I am academically capable.

If you have a 3.8 taking 12 credits a semester at community college they might question the difficulty of your undergrad, and then when they see your 60 PCAT all this does is confirm their suspicions. I am not at all saying that GPA is not important but the GPA has to be put in context - This is what the PCAT is for so use it to your advantage.

That makes total sense. Thanks for explaining that! Could you also tell me what books you used for the PCAT to make such a high score? And what year you took it?
Awesome advice! Wish you were the type of person I could encounter when talking to a schools admissions office, lol

Last edited:
That is a great score! What books did you use to study and when did you take it?

I graduated this year, so it's been awhile since I took the PCAT. I believe I used the Kaplan book to study. I've always performed better in anything verbal/reading comp related, so I tried to focus on the science sections. I still ended up doing pretty crappy on them, but my other subscores brought up my composite.

fall semester of senior year I took 20 credits, and winter I took 18, they also were upper level such as biochem and pathology and I just graduated. I definitely agree in the sense that it's not all about the GPA, but I'm worried that my PCAT won't be competitive.

90+ is amazing!! did you study for a long time for it? what were your techniques?