Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Do I have a chance? Current NP

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by bkennedy, Aug 16, 2015.

1. bkennedy

2+ Year Member

Hi,

So I have only been a NP since May and already wanting to attend med school. I have been a nurse for 6 years and I am almost 30.

My graduate GPA is 3.8, but I know only undergrad counts. My last two years of undergrad is a 3.5. With the too much fun I had my first two years of school my cumGPA is only 3.08. I know I can bring it up and work on my science GPA. I am hoping for a 3.3-3.4 sGPA. With all the credits I have, it will be hard to get cumGPA to about 3.2.

Do you guys think I stand a chance? I will retake all prerequisites, plus some upper level sciences..Hopefully get A's in everything.

2. mybubbles627

mybubbles627 ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Without an MCAT it is too hard to know your chances. DO does grade replacement so that may be a better bet with the low cum GPA.

bkennedy likes this.
  3. bkennedy

2+ Year Member

I am hoping to rock the MCAT. I am hoping all my clinical experience will help too.

4. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Clinical experiences DO help.

bkennedy likes this.
  5. ROSC

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So by the time you take your prereqs you will have been an NP for how long ? and with the previous 6 years of nursing..... yea do well on those remaining prereqs along with the MCAT and you will have a very strong packet. IMO
    Where are you located ?
    Do you plan on staying IS or applying OOS as well?
    Does your state favor IS?
    Take a look at Goro's posts and Stickies some INVALUABLE information on there!!!
    Also keep digging through the forums you'll find MANY scenarios such as yours with favorable outcomes.

bkennedy likes this.
  6. bkennedy

2+ Year Member

Thank you so much for the post. I am from upstate south Carolina. I prefer in state, but I will apply to surrounding states like North Carolina and Georgia.

When I apply I will have 3-4 years experience as a NP.

I have been so obsessed trying to calculate my GPA if I get all A's. I will definitely need to have a solid MCAT.

7. Eccesignum

Eccesignum I Narcanned Your Honor Student
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    SDN has a bazillion GPA calculators that you can just plug your classes into and play with by adding in potential future credits. That was invaluable for me when starting out.

8. bkennedy

2+ Year Member

Thank you

9. W19

W19
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You will have a good shot at DO with a strong MCAT... By the way, why do you want to do that after getting a NP degree? Just curious! I was (am) a RN who was thinking about going NP/PA and ultimately decided against it because I did not want to have any limitation in term of practicing privilege... Interestingly, a DO who gave me a LOR was a NP for 15 years...

10. bkennedy

2+ Year Member

I decided to just do NP, because at the time it was best for me. I kick myself for not taking my prerequisites when I first became a nurse. In reality I know I may not be accepted in med school, so I will have a career to fall back on. I would love to be a doctor to have more autonomy, higher patient trust, and simply a better understanding of the science of medicine. As a NP, we simply do not get this.

ROSC and W19 like this.