bkennedy

2+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2015
Hi,

So I have only been a NP since May and already wanting to attend med school. I have been a nurse for 6 years and I am almost 30.

My graduate GPA is 3.8, but I know only undergrad counts. My last two years of undergrad is a 3.5. With the too much fun I had my first two years of school my cumGPA is only 3.08. I know I can bring it up and work on my science GPA. I am hoping for a 3.3-3.4 sGPA. With all the credits I have, it will be hard to get cumGPA to about 3.2.

Do you guys think I stand a chance? I will retake all prerequisites, plus some upper level sciences..Hopefully get A's in everything.

mybubbles627

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2011
West Coast
Status
Medical Student
Without an MCAT it is too hard to know your chances. DO does grade replacement so that may be a better bet with the low cum GPA.

Reactions: bkennedy
About the Ads

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student

ROSC

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2015
South of the Mason Dixon
Status
Pre-Medical
So by the time you take your prereqs you will have been an NP for how long ? and with the previous 6 years of nursing..... yea do well on those remaining prereqs along with the MCAT and you will have a very strong packet. IMO
Where are you located ?
Do you plan on staying IS or applying OOS as well?
Does your state favor IS?
Take a look at Goro's posts and Stickies some INVALUABLE information on there!!!
Also keep digging through the forums you'll find MANY scenarios such as yours with favorable outcomes.

bkennedy

2+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2015
Thank you so much for the post. I am from upstate south Carolina. I prefer in state, but I will apply to surrounding states like North Carolina and Georgia.

When I apply I will have 3-4 years experience as a NP.

I have been so obsessed trying to calculate my GPA if I get all A's. I will definitely need to have a solid MCAT.

Eccesignum

I Narcanned Your Honor Student
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2011
Favorite med school on the citadel
Status
Medical Student
SDN has a bazillion GPA calculators that you can just plug your classes into and play with by adding in potential future credits. That was invaluable for me when starting out.

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You will have a good shot at DO with a strong MCAT... By the way, why do you want to do that after getting a NP degree? Just curious! I was (am) a RN who was thinking about going NP/PA and ultimately decided against it because I did not want to have any limitation in term of practicing privilege... Interestingly, a DO who gave me a LOR was a NP for 15 years...

bkennedy

2+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2015
You will have a good shot at DO with a strong MCAT... By the way, why do you want to do that after getting a NP degree? Just curious! I was (am) a RN who was thinking about going NP/PA and ultimately decided against it because I did not want to have any limitation in term of practicing privilege... Interestingly, a DO who gave me a LOR was a NP for 15 years...
I decided to just do NP, because at the time it was best for me. I kick myself for not taking my prerequisites when I first became a nurse. In reality I know I may not be accepted in med school, so I will have a career to fall back on. I would love to be a doctor to have more autonomy, higher patient trust, and simply a better understanding of the science of medicine. As a NP, we simply do not get this.

Reactions: ROSC and W19
About the Ads