Do I have a chance? GPA/OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optostudent2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm applying pretty late in the 2019-2020 cycle and I wanted to know if I still would have a chance, given my following info:

Cumulative GPA: 3.16
BCPM GPA: 2.70
OAT AA: 310
OAT TS: 310

I know my science GPA is probably the limiting factor here, but I was able to get a 330 in ochem (72nd percentile) and 300 in physics (65th percentile). I did get C's in ochem and physics (it was my hardest class and I just could not understand it) but they said to try to do well on that section of the OAT. Is the 65th percentile high enough to show that I could do it? What do you guys think? I'm happy to answer any questions :)

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely have a legitimate chance. As long as you have a good enough reason for your low science GPA (like say an upward trend) you should be fine. Good luck!

I have a downward trend :( hopefully my other materials (LOR, PS, experiences) will make up for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
My cumualtive GPA and science GPA is around the same as yours! But I still think you have a chance to get into a school! It can be discouraging, but im hoping to score high on the OAT. I plan on taking it in mid-may or early June.

What schools are you planning to apply to?

My cumualtive GPA and science GPA is around the same as yours! But I still think you have a chance to get into a school! It can be discouraging, but im hoping to score high on the OAT. I plan on taking it in mid-may or early June.

What schools are you planning to apply to?
I'm applying to SCCO, Western, AZCOPT, Salus, KYCO, UAB, OSU, and NECO. My ideal choice would be SCCO. I'm also struggling with explaining the the low science GPA in my application lol. There is not much else for me to say other than I was not good at physics or chemistry even though I tried so hard.

Last edited:
I'm applying to SCCO, Western, AZCOPT, Salus, KYCO, UAB, OSU, and NECO. My ideal choice would be SCCO. I'm also struggling with explaining the the low science GPA in my application lol. There is not much else for me to say other than I was not good at physics or chemistry even though I tried so hard.
good luck!! My friend who goes to KYCO got a 290 on her OAT!

What did you use to study for the oat?

good luck!! My friend who goes to KYCO got a 290 on her OAT!

What did you use to study for the oat?
Oh wow that's great! Good for them, that's so exciting :)

I used DAT Bootcamp primarily. I also used some Kaplan books but then I switched to DAT Bootcamp because of convenience and the access to practice tests. I think it prepared me pretty well, but the actual OAT was just so different.

I think it's doable! I would really embellish your extracurriculars through writing. That's an area where you should detail all of your strengths and experiences. If you were to re-do your OAT exam, how would you approach it? I feel like bootcamp is such a hit or miss

I used DAT Bootcamp primarily. I also used some Kaplan books but then I switched to DAT Bootcamp because of convenience and the access to practice tests. I think it prepared me pretty well, but the actual OAT was just so different.
What I meant was that I really do think you have a chance! 310 on OAT is pretty good in my opinon.

You may qualify for an automatic interview at some places since you’re above a 3.0 and 300 OAT, but to have a solid OAT score you should aim for 340+. You may not need to retake if you’re offered interviews!
I agree it’s best to show higher OAT scores in subjects you didn’t have good grades in. 330 ochem is good, but 300 physics may need to be improved.

Wondering if anyone could offer suggestions... I took my OAT twice scoring 280. I have a 3.25 gpa, 2 years experience in optometry (and over 40 shadowing hours), Women in science scholar for my university - club president - numerous volunteer activities. I was so discouraged, but went ahead and applied... I can retake my OAT for a final time in October. I fear I am just a poor test taker. I am most interested in Kentucky, UAB and Salus. I did apply to NOVA, ICO, Western & MCPHS after researching programs/speaking with interns & alumni.

Any advice for improving my OAT score over 300? I used Kaplan prep book & their online test and the ADA test.

Also, should I be hopeful for an interview at this point??

Thanks!

So you would suggest to take OAT again for higher score?
It would be best to contact the admission person for each school and ask. It’s possible to get accepted with your GPA and OAT but if you decide to retake the OAT a final time, I recommend using coursesaver and DAT Bootcamp.

Hello everyone! I'm applying pretty late in the 2019-2020 cycle and I wanted to know if I still would have a chance, given my following info:

Cumulative GPA: 3.16
BCPM GPA: 2.70
OAT AA: 310
OAT TS: 310

I know my science GPA is probably the limiting factor here, but I was able to get a 330 in ochem (72nd percentile) and 300 in physics (65th percentile). I did get C's in ochem and physics (it was my hardest class and I just could not understand it) but they said to try to do well on that section of the OAT. Is the 65th percentile high enough to show that I could do it? What do you guys think? I'm happy to answer any questions :)
Your OAT is above the 50th percentile which is very good !!! All GPA'S are not the same unless we all attend the same school with the same professors. . Of course ,the programs understand this so everything on your application is taken into account as I am told by the schools I have applied to.
Your OAT score is your ticket when compared to other applicants and their OAT scores... Hope this helps !!!

I wish you the best, but I have a question concerning DAT Bootcamp. How was it different from the actual OAT? I was thinking about utilizing the system since they say it is around the difficulty of the actual exam - Kaplan and OAT Destroyer being seen as harder than what is expected from the real OAT.