redwings54

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Hello. I was wondering if I had a chance at going DO or MD. I really like the DO philosophy, but am not sure if I fully understand the true differences between osteo and allopathic medicine. As for me, I graduated my undergrad with a 3.1 gpa and a 2.79 science. I got a 25 on the MCATS and took them twice already. Recently, I just returned from a fellowship studying holistic medicine. It was supossed to be a year but I had to cut it short for personal reasons. I have two summers of chem research and a publication, but no clinical experiences yet. I am now hoping to either work in a hospital or as a toxicologist for the state police. I did a lot of volunteer work with children including heading a project for two years. I also plan on taking classes in the summer and fall to help with my science GPA. Recently, I was also diagnosed with a small case of a bi-polar-esque disorder. I am getting better, but looking back on my time in college, I can honestly say that much of the difficulties I went through academically were partly due to my disorder. I want to be a doctor more than anything. I really want to help children. Do I stand a chance in hell of getting in? What should I do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and good luck to you all.

C

Chronotropic

You're GPA is a bit low but the MCAT is around average for some schools. I think with your experiences you would have a good shot.

futuredo32

15+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2003
Michigan
Status
Attending Physician
Your MCAT score is completely reasonable for many osteopathic schools, taking a few classes and bringing up your gpa will help. Being that this is what you truly want to do, I would definitely say to go for it. Shadowing an osteopathic physician (which may be easier to do if you call a clinic associated with an osteopathic school and ask to shadow a doc who teaches, they are usually more willing to have pre-meds shadow) and reading D.O.s, a history of osteopathic medicine in america by Norman Gevitz might help you to understand osteopathic medicine a little better. I found it to be really boring here and there, but it's informative. Good luck.

ilona

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Houston
Status
sure! My MCAT was 25 :) I would suggest to do some clinical work though. Volunteer, shadow, etc. Bring your GPA a little and you will be good. I think you disorder could be someting you can use in your personal statement, and it can be an excuse for low GPA ;)
:thumbup:

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
In my opinion, I don't think one should be looking for "excuses" for a poor/low gpa. An adcom will look at that and say, "who is to say those excuses won't come back again."

Perhaps you meant explanation.

To the OP: take some upper level science courses, do well in them, and I'd imagine you should be okay. With that said, apply broad.

theOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
Status
redwings54 said:
Hello. I was wondering if I had a chance at going DO or MD. I really like the DO philosophy, but am not sure if I fully understand the true differences between osteo and allopathic medicine. As for me, I graduated my undergrad with a 3.1 gpa and a 2.79 science. I got a 25 on the MCATS and took them twice already. Recently, I just returned from a fellowship studying holistic medicine. It was supossed to be a year but I had to cut it short for personal reasons. I have two summers of chem research and a publication, but no clinical experiences yet. I am now hoping to either work in a hospital or as a toxicologist for the state police. I did a lot of volunteer work with children including heading a project for two years. I also plan on taking classes in the summer and fall to help with my science GPA. Recently, I was also diagnosed with a small case of a bi-polar-esque disorder. I am getting better, but looking back on my time in college, I can honestly say that much of the difficulties I went through academically were partly due to my disorder. I want to be a doctor more than anything. I really want to help children. Do I stand a chance in hell of getting in? What should I do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and good luck to you all.
you've definitely got a shot. but in regards to which conference you want to represent, MD or DO, shadow both to make sure its for you. you will read it all over these forums that clinical experience is key. good luck.

Moze

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
you absolutely have a chance at DO. your numbers are extremely comparable to mine and i just got accepted to LECOM Bradenton. I've realized that there are a LOT of possibilities out there for people who have the determination and simply take the initiative to do the application and the supplementaries. LECOM Bradenton's a very new campus and have been offering interviews left and right. PCOM Georgia is also a very new campus.
I dont know how great the chances are for MD. those programs are a lot more competitive. if you do well in a post-bac or a grad program, you may increase your chances. if you dont want to go that route, there's always the carribbean (i've heard great things about ross and st. george) and i recently learned of a school in luton, england which has the same set-up as the carribbean. it's called st. christopher's. but i know very little about their reputation. good luck!

HoodyHoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2003
Chitown
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
redwings54 said:
Hello. I was wondering if I had a chance at going DO or MD. I really like the DO philosophy.............
yeah you do, just apply to the new schools like LecomB, TUCOM LV, and PCOM georgia......there are surely some schools like PCOM, TCOM, KCOM, etc.......that you probably have no chance in hell.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
HoodyHoo said:
yeah you do, just apply to the new schools like LecomB, TUCOM LV, and PCOM georgia......there are surely some schools like PCOM, TCOM, KCOM, etc.......that you probably have no chance in hell.
From personal experience, I would say that some of the easier schools to get in include KCOM & AZCOM.

Some of the more difficult schools include OSU-COM, TCOM, CCOM, and DMU-COM.

I purposefully omitted schools I do not personally have experience with.

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
Status
Yes, you have a good chance. No problem with your GPA or MCAT at least. Try and shadow a DO and observe some OMT if you can-I highly recommend that.

As far as whether or not to mention your MI, that depends on the spin you put on it-ie in regards to turning it into a positive by focusing on what you learned (how to deal with it) and maybe how it will help you relate to patients with bipolar. Also be careful to emphasize how you are stable now (thru taking meds and therapy or whatever). :luck:

As far as the more difficult schools to get into-that will vary from person to person. I applied to DMU and KCOM, MSUCOM and LECOM and COMP and had no problems getting in anywhere. I didn't mention mental illness, though, so I can't comment on how they feel about that-but I can say that it depends a lot on the interviewer. Its something you might want to guage when you show up.

axenos

15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2004
kansas city mo
Visit site
Status
if you impress them during your interview, and have lots of volunteer work and shadowing experience then your in. pikeville, pcom ga, vcom are easier to get into--but that doesnt mean they arent good schools
if you really want to be a doctor then go for it and you will make it

DOPEDERSON

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Iowa City
Status
If you can hop on one leg for an hour straight, raise you non science GPA while bringing your science GPA down; then you have a great chance on the third thursday of the month. But only on years that end in an even number. WHAT THE HELL FILL OUT THE APPPS AND FIND OUT.

ilona

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Houston
Status
DOPEDERSON said:
If you can hop on one leg for an hour straight, raise you non science GPA while bringing your science GPA down; then you have a great chance on the third thursday of the month. But only on years that end in an even number. WHAT THE HELL FILL OUT THE APPPS AND FIND OUT.

he probably will, he is just wants some confidence buster from us..... btw what is DMU?