Do I have a chance of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smokeyjoes

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and my question concerns, "the probabilities of getting in".

I've been out of school for ten years now. My B.S. degree is in Physical Education and my g.p.a. is 2.67. I have not taken any of my science courses, other than inorganic 1 and 2, which I received two B's. I'm lacking my MCAT scores and realize that this will be a determining factor as well.

Being 36 years of age, what would be the best route in order to be competitive in the pool of applicants applying? Thanks for listening!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

My advice is to enroll in a good postbacc program. Take all your prerequisite sciences and do well. I would suggest you take a good 60 credits and maintain a high GPA. You're going to want to show that you have what it takes to be a doctor. Furthermore, I suggest you take an MCAT prep course prior to taking it. I didn't take a prep course and scored a combined 27. Had I taken the course I think I would have done much better.

Take Care,
W.

I agree with WishUponAStar, you're going to really need to go back and get a good understanding of your basic sciences. You might seriously consider taking inorganic I&II again because, after a 10-year break from chemistry, you're probably dooming yourself to poor grades in Organic (unless you've been working as a chemist the last 10 years!
smile.gif
). You'll also want to get some clinical experience through volunteering or employment. Oh yeah, don't worry(ie- DON'T take!!)about the MCAT until AFTER you've taken your refresher sciences...especially Organic & Physics!!! It's better to wait, take it once, and get a good score, than it is to take it unprepared and bomb it! Some schools will take the highest of multiple scores, others will average it. you don't want to take the change of having a REALLY bad score bring down your second try (if you need a second try
smile.gif
!)