Do I have a chance this round?!?! 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teethdreamin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hbnfhkngy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Everything looks good but even as an URM, it will be extremely difficult with that science GPA. You would have to get at least a 24 on the DAT to stand a chance. Definitely apply to Meharry and Howard university if you decide to apply, and apply early with a complete application but I would recommend some post bacc science classes to get that sGPA up to at least a 3.2-3.3.

Everything looks good but even as an URM, it will be extremely difficult with that science GPA. You would have to get at least a 24 on the DAT to stand a chance. Definitely apply to Meharry and Howard university if you decide to apply, and apply early with a complete application but I would recommend some post bacc science classes to get that sGPA up to at least a 3.2-3.3.
the only reason my sGPA is that low is because I am factoring in 2 classes that I got a C- in, that I retook and got A's in. Without the C-, I would have a 3.3 sGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
just kill the DAT man. and you'll be good.

Reactions: 1 user
just kill the DAT man. and you'll be good.
Thanks so much. Where do you recommend I apply to? State schools, Meharry, Howard, but where else? I want the best chance of admission.

you are the president of your pre dental club and you have no idea about these answers?

Reactions: 5 users
you are the president of your pre dental club and you have no idea about these answers?

lol everyone has to start somewhere. Better late then never.

to answer the other question..I would recommend some private schools such as Roseman and Marquette. Good chances if you do well on the DAT. i also hear Louisville is very strong on extra curricular activity...

Is it a problem that I am asking more outside sources, and doing more research? I don't understand the point of your response here.

lol everyone has to start somewhere. Better late then never.

to answer the other question..I would recommend some private schools such as Roseman and Marquette. Good chances if you do well on the DAT. i also hear Louisville is very strong on extra curricular activity...
Yep, Louisville and Marquette are already on my list.

Last edited:
  • I am a highly qualified URM
  • Attend a "public Ivy League" university as they call it
  • 3.6 cum GPA 2.8 or 2.9~ sci GPA
  • 4 excellent letters of recommendation
  • President of my pre dental club
  • Over 3,500+ hours in dental assisting
  • Taking DAT soon
  • Community service all my years at my university
  • Involved heavily in oral health related community outreach
  • Over 1,500+ hours of community service
  • Been on a few dental mission trips to 3rd world countries
  • I worked every semester and took full course loads 18-19 credits per sem
  • I am a part of a well known research lab on campus
I may sound like I am bragging about all of these great things to put on my app that we all know dental schools love. But my only concern is my lower science GPA. The sciences courses at my UNI are extremely rigorous and I would've been able to do better than pull a bunch of B's and B-'s in them had I not had to work. My UNI also has a +/- system so that's another reason it's on the lower end. Will my science GPA hold me back? I plan on getting at least 20's all around the board for the DAT, I'm a great standardized test taker and have taken practice tests/ prep courses. Please be honest and no rude comments, I come in peace. Thank you in advance guys!

so many pre-dents say they gotta work 30 hrs while taking classes => they have low GPA, had they not, their GPA will be high

I think the only impressive thing about working + studying is only when you can maintain still a competitive GPA while working.

other than that, i see many high GPA high DAT got in with sufficient volunteer hour and VERY LITTLE paid work hours.

Reactions: 1 users
UPDATE: recalculated my sGPA with the AADSAS grading scale and I actually have a 3.01 science.

I may sound like I am bragging about all of these great things to put on my app that we all know dental schools love. But my only concern is my lower science GPA. The sciences courses at my UNI are extremely rigorous and I would've been able to do better than pull a bunch of B's and B-'s in them had I not had to work. My UNI also has a +/- system so that's another reason it's on the lower end. Will my science GPA hold me back? I plan on getting at least 20's all around the board for the DAT, I'm a great standardized test taker and have taken practice tests/ prep courses. Please be honest and no rude comments, I come in peace. Thank you in advance guys!
You mean having had to work affected your science, but not your non science courses?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-shadowing-requirements-recommendations.1069934/

Members don't see this ad :)
If a member of your pre-dental society approached their president (you) and asked the same question would you say I don't know? Do they just hand out the president position or is it like asking your friends to vote for you...

If a member of your pre-dental society approached their president (you) and asked the same question would you say I don't know? Do they just hand out the president position or is it like asking your friends to vote for you...

No need to be mean. OP, I would look up all the private schools and apply to many of those. Add NYU and LECOM, maybe Nova. I'd recommend applying to around 15 schools total if you can swing it.

Honestly, I hate the excuse that because you had to work while studying, you got bad grades. I had to work 20-30 hours a week while having a full course load and was still able to pull off great grades. And so do a lot of other people. Please don't put that in your personal statement if you choose to talk about balancing school and work.. Just sayin', it probably won't look that great to people reading your PS.

But as for you GPA, I would try to do a post-bacc. Unless you are dead set on applying this year, then definitely study your butt off for the DAT. Take the ADA 2009 test and those scores will reflect your actual scores more closely than other practice tests. Good luck!

Honestly, I hate the excuse that because you had to work while studying, you got bad grades. I had to work 20-30 hours a week while having a full course load and was still able to pull off great grades. And so do a lot of other people. Please don't put that in your personal statement if you choose to talk about balancing school and work.. Just sayin', it probably won't look that great to people reading your PS.

But as for you GPA, I would try to do a post-bacc. Unless you are dead set on applying this year, then definitely study your butt off for the DAT. Take the ADA 2009 test and those scores will reflect your actual scores more closely than other practice tests. Good luck!

Idk

What to say but I kinda fit in this category,

So

Imo

I work like 30hrs a week
I go to school Monday Wednesday and Friday evening
4 classes: 3 reading and writing intensive courses, 1 science.
I am a parent
I do volunteer
I make time to go to the gym

I put all that stuff in my PS, because to me, this greatly affects me, instead of me putting 100% of my mind and energy to one thing, I must have everything scheduled and balanced to make things work.....

I have a family member who is also trying to become a doctor (md) and she does not work, does not have bills to pay, does not have a child, she has the perfect student life, and to me, I wish I could have the stress free life style, but I don't....

I am not complaining, I am just writing my thoughts and feelings, here, and I believe when a student has to work to pay bills and have multiple responsibilities, and still able to go to school full time to achieve a goal, in my case, to become a dentist, .... I think that on paper, if a admission person would look at my profile, versus the stress free student lifestyle profile, the profile with the most ups and downs would be more desirable....

I can't believe I wrote so much.....!!!

I'm just touched by this thread because I have the not perfect grades, 3.0science, 3.3overall..... Less than 20 DATscores....

And to be honest I am pretty smart..... And deep inside me I know if I didn't [edit]have to work, have to be a parent, have to pay bills on time, think about all this extra crappy stuff.... I know I would be getting A's.....

For those individuals reading this, who are the stress free student types .... You guys better step your game up.... There is really no excuse to get low grades.....

Good luck to all students whom want to do good things in this life .....

Tooth knockn....

Idk

What to say but I kinda fit in this category,

So

Imo

I work like 30hrs a week
I go to school Monday Wednesday and Friday evening
4 classes: 3 reading and writing intensive courses, 1 science.
I am a parent
I do volunteer
I make time to go to the gym

I put all that stuff in my PS, because to me, this greatly affects me, instead of me putting 100% of my mind and energy to one thing, I must have everything scheduled and balanced to make things work.....

I have a family member who is also trying to become a doctor (md) and she does not work, does not have bills to pay, does not have a child, she has the perfect student life, and to me, I wish I could have the stress free life style, but I don't....

I am not complaining, I am just writing my thoughts and feelings, here, and I believe when a student has to work to pay bills and have multiple responsibilities, and still able to go to school full time to achieve a goal, in my case, to become a dentist, .... I think that on paper, if a admission person would look at my profile, versus the stress free student lifestyle profile, the profile with the most ups and downs would be more desirable....

I can't believe I wrote so much.....!!!

I'm just touched by this thread because I have the not perfect grades, 3.0science, 3.3overall..... Less than 20 DATscores....

And to be honest I am pretty smart..... And deep inside me I know if I didn't [edit]have to work, have to be a parent, have to pay bills on time, think about all this extra crappy stuff.... I know I would be getting A's.....

For those individuals reading this, who are the stress free student types .... You guys better step your game up.... There is really no excuse to get low grades.....

Good luck to all students whom want to do good things in this life .....

Tooth knockn....

But that is unfair to that student just because they happen to have better circumstances. Plus it was your decision to have a child and I am assuming you have to work to get extra money for your family so that is in essence no excuse for lower grades because you made those decisions yourself.

But that is unfair to that student just because they happen to have better circumstances. Plus it was your decision to have a child and I am assuming you have to work to get extra money for your family so that is in essence no excuse for lower grades because you made those decisions yourself.

Very true, in an analytical point of view.....
I make decision- I deal with consequence.

But just as it is unfair for "that" student, the stress free lifestyle, to have to read this and see the reality.... It is life....

We all make decisions ......

I just see this in a point of view comparing two individuals.....

One who has started life early
And
One who is younger, and follows the traditional route...

Both are students.....

But one is carrying more weight.....

Either way..... In the case of becoming a dentist, a health care provider, both individuals must be in it to help those who seek help.....

Very true, in an analytical point of view.....
I make decision- I deal with consequence.

But just as it is unfair for "that" student, the stress free lifestyle, to have to read this and see the reality.... It is life....

We all make decisions ......

I just see this in a point of view comparing two individuals.....

One who has started life early
And
One who is younger, and follows the traditional route...

Both are students.....

But one is carrying more weight.....

Either way..... In the case of becoming a dentist, a health care provider, both individuals must be in it to help those who seek help.....
Very true but when it comes to dental school, the stress free student will still be in the same circumstance and will have the time and peace to focus on studies to get through the rigorous curriculum of dental school. While the student who did just ok in undergrad with a child and work and etc. will still be dealing with all of that plus the fact that school is only going to get harder, though I assume you wouldn't work in dental school.

Very true but when it comes to dental school, the stress free student will still be in the same circumstance and will have the time and peace to focus on studies to get through the rigorous curriculum of dental school. While the student who did just ok in undergrad with a child and work and etc. will still be dealing with all of that plus the fact that school is only going to get harder, though I assume you wouldn't work in dental school.

Ahhh

My internet friend.... The one with the weight, who is in dental school, will be stress free.....

When this individual enters the arena, dental school, he or she is a winner in so many different levels.....

Financially no problem, when someone wants to achieve a dream, that person will take the advantage of acquiring a loan.

Family is family.

We all move through time and have to deal with decisions from the past---decisions made by a person we may not even relate to anymore... but the consequences remain.

I'm the "free" type I guess you could say. And I've gone back to do all the prereqs and more in slightly over one year, and I'm mostly done... with straight A's.

I feel fortunate to have the chance to focus, because I have a lot of pre-professional friends without that chance. And I could be in their shoes easily if life had turned out differently.

So I think life circumstances aren't a bad excuse.

We all move through time and have to deal with decisions from the past---decisions made by a person we may not even relate to anymore... but the consequences remain.

I'm the "free" type I guess you could say. And I've gone back to do all the prereqs and more in slightly over one year, and I'm mostly done... with straight A's.

I feel fortunate to have the chance to focus, because I have a lot of pre-professional friends without that chance. And I could be in their shoes easily if life had turned out differently.

So I think life circumstances aren't a bad excuse.

It is never an excuse, life's circumstances are what makes life, ..... life....

And the truth is always the truth....

And time from sun up to sun down.... Is equal to all life....

But what is a bad excuse is how some are willing to quickly measure another person to another person....

When those two persons are so different....

At the end of the day....

I want to be sure that one day all my patients will leave me happy....

It is never an excuse, life's circumstances are what makes life, ..... life....

And the truth is always the truth....

And time from sun up to sun down.... Is equal to all life....

But what is a bad excuse is how some are willing to quickly measure another person to another person....

When those two persons are so different....

At the end of the day....

I want to be sure that one day all my patients will leave me happy....
But isn't that also.... life?

Do well on the DAT ND you're fine. How do you have 3500 plus assisting hours?

How do you have 3500 plus assisting hours?

I think she works as a dental assistant.

Anyway, ACE that DAT (24+) and you will have a fighting chance. Otherwise, you won't make the cut-off and your application won't be processed further with low GPA (yes, it's a thing). Also, you need to be able to explain why you are better in non-science classes than in science classes should you get interview invitations because my impression is that you're taking 5-6 classes non-science per science class per semester --> RED FLAG because of GPA disparity and I would have doubts about your ability to handle full science course load (if I were to look through adcoms point of view). So your DAT must be good to remove the doubts. Just my objective comments.

Now onto my non-objective comment, I don't think you should rely solely on having to work, having family burdens, and comparing yourself to a stress-free college student in order to make yourself more competitive(ish). Adcoms will take that into consideration but don't expect that to be a make-or-break thing for dental school admission. And many college students work to pay rent because their loans only cover tuition, they also have to take care of bills like insurance, auto-maintenance, food, credit cards, etc. Many have someone/something to take care of beside themselves. I guess my point is you are not the only one with these problems, so move on, discover new strong points about yourself to show adcoms that you are not defined by your circumstances. I hope I havent been too harsh (if I was, I apologize), but I do want you to see where I'm coming from with this.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
People like to believe their stress is more stressful than the next person in line and so they deserve it more. Having to do an infinite thing tells adcoms nothing if you don't have the grades. Their primary question is "can this person handle the rigors of D school". Let's all go out and have a kid to beef up our package.

Reactions: 1 user
Batch #: #1

Residency: NY
Schools Applied To: 21 schools
GPA:with +/-: BCP= 3.23, Science=3.30 Nonscience=3.79 Undergraduate=3.50
DAT: AA: 22, PAT:20, TS: 21, Bio:21 Chem:30 Orgo:18 RC:23 QR:20

What are my chances you think? :/

I still don't understand how someone who was made president of the pre-dental club doesn't have some sort of idea of what they should do. These "chance me" questions have been asked before; you just need to go deep into some threads to find the answer. It is hard to say because none of this matters until you get your DAT scores. You can't say what you are going to get until you get it, so with what you have it is a risk applying this cycle if you don't end up with what you say you will get. What non-science courses did you take? I don't necessarily think they are easier than science courses at all, especially in classes where subjectivity in analysis strongly affects how convincing your argument is. How can you assume that they will think that the stress of having to work applies only to your science vs your non-science classes?

I am a highly qualified URM
As opposed to an unqualified URM?
Attend a "public Ivy League" university as they call it
This doesn't mean anything. Unless you went to an amazing school like Harvard (or on the opposite end, community college), the reputation of your university is almost a complete non-factor. "Public ivy" is a dumb phrase that underachieving students started repeating to feel better about attending a school that isn't as prestigious as they wanted.
3.6 cum GPA 2.8 or 2.9~ sci GPA
Incredibly low science GPA greatly lowers your chances.
Taking DAT soon
Your more recent post says 22 AA. This is a good score but not enough to offset the low science GPA.
I plan on getting at least 20's all around the board for the DAT, I'm a great standardized test taker and have taken practice tests/ prep courses.

Doesn't matter what you plan on, all that matters is what you achieve on test day.

Overall, not looking too good but worth a shot. Look into a post-bac or SMP for the coming year.

Last edited: