Do I have a chance this time???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I applied last year for the Fall 2010 class, yet had no luck. I have a >3.9 GPA, >3.8 science GPA, won awards at my school, have clinical volunteer experience as well as clinical experience as an EMT, teaching experience, leadership experience, as well as research experience. Everything was going well until I took the MCAT and REALLY tanked the verbal (10, 5, 12)...by that time, my application and secondaries were out, so I didn't bother to withdraw. I got rejected from all schools I applied to in NY (I'm a NY resident) as well as a few other schools. I plan on retaking the MCAT in May (I'm confident I can bring my verbal score up...that was just a random score I got, not to mention the lowest...doing well on my practice exams now). This summer, I will get some more clinical/volunteer experience, shadowing experience as well as clinical research experience. During my year off, I will get my masters degree in basic health sciences at one of my state schools.

My question is, am I scarred as a reapplicant? Will I have to work a lot harder to get those interviews? I'm not sure how all this reapplicant stuff works...some people have told me that it's harder to get interviews the second time around...others have told me I'll be fine as long as I get my verbal up...if anyone could give me some insight, I'd highly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just a few questions: during your last application cycle, did you get any interviews? Have you kept in touch with any admissions counselors or schools?

If you did get some interviews and/or did keep in touch with the schools, I would say you have a very good chance this application cycle. I wish you the best of luck.

-A

Raise verbal to the level of the other two scores and you will get interviews. You will have to explain yourself but I sincerely believe you will get the chance to do so.:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Raise verbal to the level of the other two scores and you will get interviews. You will have to explain yourself but I sincerely believe you will get the chance to do so.:luck:

Thanks...that means a lot to me. I've been feeling like poo-poo lately because I worked really hard during my undergrad years only to get a string of rejections :(..but I'm sure people here can relate.

Thanks...that means a lot to me. I've been feeling like poo-poo lately because I worked really hard during my undergrad years only to get a string of rejections :(..but I'm sure people here can relate.

yeah, keep up the faith man, I know you worked hard for that MCAT in January, just had some rough luck with the type of questions. Just keep practicing that verbal, and I think things will work out for you this time around. Good luck!

yeah, keep up the faith man, I know you worked hard for that MCAT in January, just had some rough luck with the type of questions. Just keep practicing that verbal, and I think things will work out for you this time around. Good luck!

Thanks dude, yeah too bad I had to void the beast but here's to May. Good luck to you too :)