Medical Do I have a chance to even apply to medical school next cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an undergrad going into my senior year. I struggled a lot freshman year and as a result my GPA was not great. I got my self together and brought it up to a 3.41. Unfortunately I did face some personal struggles this past semester and did not do as well as I had hoped. Also, I recently found out that I have ADHD and I am now actively working to overcome some of those challenges!
F18: 3.15 S19: 3.11 F19: 3.46 S20: 3.50 F20: 3.6 S21: 3.5
I am currently volunteering and I absolutely love it as well as studying for the MCAT. I am feeling a little discouraged but I would like to know if applying to medical school in the spring of my senior year is reasonable. Would a masters or post-bacc be necessary?
You are good for DO with a solid MCAT. MD would likely require post bac work.

Members don't see this ad.

To be blunt, you can’t be “working to overcome struggles,” you need to have actually overcome them and put them in your past to convince a school that you are ready.

Realistically if you do very well on the MCAT you’re going to mostly be looking at DO schools and nothing will be guaranteed. But a lot rides on how you do in senior year. If you can pull a 3.8 in both semesters that would be the kind of clear upward trend for MD schools that look into those kind of trends closer than just the final number.

Status
Not open for further replies.