Medical Should I take my DO Acceptance or Reapply Next Cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from CA and I got into a DO school here; I was rejected from my only MD interview. I am trying to decide if I should take the DO acceptance or re-take the MCAT to address my weak score and re-apply a third time in the next cycle in the hopes of getting into an MD school.

I am just trying to consider all my options before making a decision. Thank you for any help!!

— Experts please respond to this post —
You pay your money and you take your chances. If you'd rather never go to medical school than go to a DO school in 2023, understand that you have that possible outcome even with a 515+.

Members don't see this ad.

This is already your second cycle applying to MD in a highly competitive state, and even if you were to significantly outperform your prior MCAT score (which frankly would not be expected on a third attempt) it’s not like your old scores vanish and aren’t considered at all—I’m not sure that even with a 514 that you would go from uninterviewed to accepted, raising the strong possibility that this might be the only acceptance you get.

Ultimately not everyone gets to go to their preferred school, but you did get into a school and have a chance to be a doctor. This is to be celebrated! Take the acceptance and run

I'm only guessing which school you got accepted to. First, congratulations! Of course if you went 0 for 2 on interviews, your reapplication plan works very well.

I don't know why you want to do this again. We understand the risks of going to a new school, but someone has to be first here. I don't think losing a year of an attending salary is ever worth it. Unless the school has a serious accreditation issue looming, you should go for it.

If this is a local school, you should ask the local hospitals and physicians about their thoughts on the success of the new program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a fan of magic thinking. Your MCAT score actually went down on the second try. I have no confident that you'll go up in a significant degree on a third retake.

Take the accept and just beaware of what you're getting into, and be prepared to be a strong self-learner.

Status
Not open for further replies.