Do i have a chance with DO schools and SMP programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Libanbolt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently in my third year of college right now. First year i wasn't fully focused on school, first semseter of second year as well i was lacking i wasn't fully serious about school but since my spring semster of my sophmore year i have been dedicated to the pre med route.

currently my comulative gpa is a 2.797.
my science gpa is a 2.4
Bio 1: D(took it during first year of college will retake first semester of summer)
Bio 2: C(took it during second year i will retake this in the summer)
chem 1: B
Physics:B
I have done almost all of my basics. all i have left are about 51 hours worth of worth of science courses. Right now i am taking Gen chem 2, College phyiscs 2, and elementary to statistics. i still have organic chemistry left and my higher level sciences.

My goal is to get into some DO schools(preferebly the one near me) Texas osteopathic school of medicine(UNT health science center). I am striving to get the highest gpa possible. I plan on applying to all of the schools in texas, and a few out of state schools

if my gpa gets barely above a 3.0 around a 3.2 or a 3.3, would i be able to get into SMP programs.

about myself and my extracurricular activities
20 year old male,i go to school full time, work part time 3 days a week right now, might stop working next year when i start taking my higher level science course to dedicate a year to school.
86 hours worth of volunteering as a unit secretary at a hospital(stopped to focus on school)
like 5-10 hours of volunteer work with red cross i volunteer with them whenever i am free

Members don't see this ad.

If you manage to bring your GPA to above a 3.0 you will have a good shot at SMPs - it's too hard to predict out of state DO schools without an MCAT, but as for TCOM - their average stats are pretty high in terms of average GPA ~ 3.6 and average MCAT ~ 507, so without doing an SMP (which they have the Medsci program), I'd say it is unlikely. I would recommend you ace the last three semesters of college with grades as highest as can be. Possibly look into a post-bacc to get your sGPA to above a 3.0 as well because some schools pre-screen at c/sGPA 3.0.

Additionally, I would recommend you have > 150 hours of clinical volunteering (this means direct patient interaction) and > 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering. Keep in mind you also need to shadow a physician, ideally ~50 hours to PCP.

Read how some other people have successfully reinvented themselves comrade, as it will take time and alot of internal searching to discover what it takes for you to succeed. Here is a great thread if you haven't found it already that describes what it took for people to succeed with stories similar to yours:

LOW GPA/MCAT Success Stories (Posts by Nontrads Already Accepted to Med School)

If it what your heart sings for, you will find a way as others have before you! Just find a plan that will get you the As you need from now on and sacrifice EVERYTHING else to ensure you continue getting good marks. Good luck!