Do I have a chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALI

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Please be honest
I have 3.35 Gpa 3.1 science(mostly b's few c+)
DAT academic 20 pat 22
have 3 lousy rec letter from science prof
but 3 decent letter from dentists and free dental clinic coordiantor.
three years experience in denatl field
and other volunteer activities
play division 2 college ball
officer of predent club
what is my chance of getting dental school. what is my chance of getting into california dental school PLEASE BE HONEST. Im graduating, so my gpa is not going to cahnge much. How can I beef up my application? Help....
thank you

Members don't see this ad.

No chance at all!!

Ali,

I was just messing wit ya! Of course you have a chance, everyone has chances! Are you CA resident? CA schools are extremely competitive especially if you're from out of state! In my opinion, you have good numbers, are you applying for 2002 or 2003? Good luck!
:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ali:

Your stats look good to me. Your GPA & sci GPA are at about the averages of those being accepted and you have solid DAT scores. Why are your rec letters from the science professors lousy? If this is only because they view you as a B student, then so what...your credentials meet the preferred minimum standards and you have lots of exposure to dentistry. If your recs are suffering due to poor attitude, on the other hand,
then you have some work to do.

Good luck,
Smile_doc :cool:

THanks for the all the input
Yes Im from California.
I m leaning toward non california school. Im going to apply this summer.
I went to an UC school and we have huge classes.
It is hard to get to know the professor.
The reason why I posted this message is that I know I'm very average. I might get into a few schools and I might not get into any. This feeling is killing me. I work my butt off all these years, then realize that I might not good enough for dental school.It is just frustrating

I don't know if it is too late for you do this, but you might want to ask your advisor if he/she offers a committe interview. If you don't know about this, send me a message and I will help you as much as I can. Otherwise, your DAT scores are great. You demonstrate your interest in dentistry and seem to have a pretty busy schedule, since you are also in sports. I'd say your GPA is great for doing so many extracurricular activities as you have. I don't see why an admissions committee would not admit you. Remember grades are not the only factor that get you in. So if you do decide to apply and need any other advice, just send me a message. I'd be willing to help.

ali
you're worrying way too much, you seem to be doing way better than I am...and I've got enough interviews already....
you'll be fine....but as the letters (I am at UCLA, and I totally understand where you're coming from) what UC do you go to? Pick and choose the prof you want to write you your letters of recs. It doesn't have to be the profs that gives you A's. (Mine definately wasn't, but he knew me the best and I knew he would write me a good letter even tho I got a crappy grade).
Don't worry too much, you'll get in somewhere!