Do I have a Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bummyatec

Applicant for 2008
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am applicant for 2008...
My Overall GPA is 3.25 ish
BCP GPA is 3.10 ish

Score 21 on DAT....
BIO = 21
GenCHem = 20
OrgoChem = 26 Total Scie = 21
PAT = 22
QR = 21
BUT.... Reading = 17 <-- this is what makes me mostly worried about....

English is not my first language....
have about 150 hrs in volunterring
Have been working (paying job, not just shadowing) at a dental office for about an year...

Do you guys think i have some chance to get in to a D school?
IF so.... where should I apply to>? Can you guys please recommend me some schools.? I was thinking to apply eastern schools and Cali schools.
Anyone has similar stat as mine and got into anywhere?
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely! Just make sure to apply early. Those DAT scores are solid. Best of luck.

Dont reading comp scores corrolate to Phase one board scores?

Id say you have a pretty decent chance though the rest of your stuff is pretty high....

Good luck...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey my stats are similar, I'll let you know how things go for me within the next couple of months. I may very well have to reapply next year but that's because I only took my DATs in January. btw, I also had a 17 qr. it's the one that's least important, so that shouldn't hold you back.

how were your rc and aa scores? congrats on your performance.

I think he meant the RQ to be RC.

Sorry... I meant I got 17 on reading not QR...

oops... my bad. in any case, you did great, and I wouldn't really worry about it. english is not your irst language yet you did great on almost every part. you might want to call up a local school and meet with them to discuss your file to get a better idea of where you stand.

Yes your chances are good, but there are two key factors that could make or break the application. First apply early. I dont mean like end of July early, but may 17th early. Second find a state school that takes its residents and either move there or find away to be eligible. The way things are going your GPA will be on the lower side, and DAT will be on the good to high side when compared with other state residents.

Of course you have a chance! English not being your first language doesn't stop you from being a doctor :)

good job. Apply to a variety of schools and don't just apply to two or three. Apply early like everyone said and you have a very good shot. It wouldn't hurt to look into what schools care a little less about Reading Comp levels. Some schools like UNLV and Pacific make it very well known that low or even average reading comp scores are looked down upon in their applicants because of the reasoning someone gave above about the correlation between RC scores and Part 1 National Boards.

Thanks guys... I really appreciate for the tips.... So the key thing is apply early..... OK! I will try to apply as soon as possible!

good job. Apply to a variety of schools and don't just apply to two or three. Apply early like everyone said and you have a very good shot. It wouldn't hurt to look into what schools care a little less about Reading Comp levels. Some schools like UNLV and Pacific make it very well known that low or even average reading comp scores are looked down upon in their applicants because of the reasoning someone gave above about the correlation between RC scores and Part 1 National Boards.

I've never heard that. I'm not questioning your integrity, just wondering if there really is a correlation. And if so, how? isn't the part 1 boards a multiple choice test based on sciences?

I've never heard that. I'm not questioning your integrity, just wondering if there really is a correlation. And if so, how? isn't the part 1 boards a multiple choice test based on sciences?

Statistically, things can be correlated even if there is no knowledge of causality between them. Apparently, it has been found that the score on RC is correlated to the score on the first dental boards. They don't need to know why or how, knowing that in general there is a relationship there is enough for them to use it as a marker of potential success.

I think in general, the new strategy is not to select any "safety" schools, but to just apply to MORE schools. See earlier thread about safety schools. But I think you have solid numbers and a good chance! Different schools have different criteria. My stats are a little above average, but not stellar by any means and I got an interview at Penn (no acceptance yet) - when I was there they said that they are looking for "people" not "numbers" which is why their numbers are lower than other schools. They also said that they don't weigh the DAT as much as other schools and use it more as a guideline to see if you can pass a standardized test. So it all depends on the school. I would start calling the schools now and ask them their opinions - even start building a relationship with the admissions office of your top 2 or 3.

"English not being your first language doesn't stop you from being a doctor"

Poor reading skills will keep you from being accepted to any doctorate program...regardless of the reason. When you get an interview make sure you address your poor performance. You did poorly and should not allow people to blow smoke up you’re a$$. Point out to the interviewer that you had increased anxiety for this section because English is not your first language and that was the reason you performed so poorly. Also make them aware that learning a language is not something that is ever completed, but is worked on every day. Even since that test your English skills have improved exponentially. Show the interviewer that there is no language barrier.

I think applicants should be ready to explain their worst score, or whatever aspect of their application, even if it is much better than average. It is a pretty standard question on an interview to be asked why you did badly in ____. They want a person who will always be improving him/her self.

I guess in the end, it is all about the spin!:D

"English not being your first language doesn't stop you from being a doctor"

Poor reading skills will keep you from being accepted to any doctorate program...regardless of the reason. When you get an interview make sure you address your poor performance. You did poorly and should not allow people to blow smoke up you’re a$$. Point out to the interviewer that you had increased anxiety for this section because English is not your first language and that was the reason you performed so poorly. Also make them aware that learning a language is not something that is ever completed, but is worked on every day. Even since that test your English skills have improved exponentially. Show the interviewer that there is no language barrier.

I think applicants should be ready to explain their worst score, or whatever aspect of their application, even if it is much better than average. It is a pretty standard question on an interview to be asked why you did badly in ____. They want a person who will always be improving him/her self.

I guess in the end, it is all about the spin!:D

:thumbup: great post!