Do I have a Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitecoat5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior at a public university. I did pretty bad my first two years in college it wasnt that i wasnt focused but more of result of a combination of being the oldest (the guinea pig) of a first generation of a family of eight going to college and a loss of a job from one of the breadwinners in the family and me having to help out. I know it is not an excuse for a 2.8 GPA, but this summer i worked really hard and retook three courses replaced them with A's (GPA went up a bit), i got a job at the hospital as a patient sitter and am waiting for six months to transefer internally as a phlebotmist. i also got a work study in a reasearch lab with a doctor at the university im at, and on top of that started BBBS. My question and sry about rambling is if i can have some input about if i might have a chance into getting into medical school or not. It is what ive always wanted to do. I know it in my heart. I am now stable and next semester i am taking 16 credits and keeping all three things going (research job, BBBS, Job at hospital) im sure i can handle it for the remainder of my undergrad and get a good GPA the remainder of it. Do i stand a chance with such a horrible GPA after 2 years? INPUT please im pretty stressed.

Members don't see this ad.

1. finish strong. put grades first, then ec's.
2. you have two more years left, stressing doesn't help
3. seriously, you have two more years left. your gpa can go up significantly.

a day at a time

Of course it's possible; assuming you have ~60 credits @ a 2.8 average, getting a 4.0 average for another 60 credits could put you at a 3.4 average. Still low for med school, but seeing as you'd (hypothetically) have 2 years of straight 4.0, you'd have a good chance. Apply after you senior year and then take another year of undergrad classes, if your GPA is over a 3.3.

So let's say you applied with a 3.4 and didn't get in on your first try; during that application year, let's say you took 30 credits at a 4.0; that's a 3.5 average. With a strong score on the MCAT (>=30) that would put you in the average acceptance range for some schools. A 2.8 after 2 years is not good, but definitely able to be salvaged. Just might take you one or two years longer than most people.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a junior at a public university. I did pretty bad my first two years in college it wasnt that i wasnt focused but more of result of a combination of being the oldest (the guinea pig) of a first generation of a family of eight going to college and a loss of a job from one of the breadwinners in the family and me having to help out. I know it is not an excuse for a 2.8 GPA, but this summer i worked really hard and retook three courses replaced them with A's (GPA went up a bit), i got a job at the hospital as a patient sitter and am waiting for six months to transefer internally as a phlebotmist. i also got a work study in a reasearch lab with a doctor at the university im at, and on top of that started BBBS. My question and sry about rambling is if i can have some input about if i might have a chance into getting into medical school or not. It is what ive always wanted to do. I know it in my heart. I am now stable and next semester i am taking 16 credits and keeping all three things going (research job, BBBS, Job at hospital) im sure i can handle it for the remainder of my undergrad and get a good GPA the remainder of it. Do i stand a chance with such a horrible GPA after 2 years? INPUT please im pretty stressed.

Agree with the others -- don't take stock until you get closer to the finish line. You can always fix things, but not necessarilly in a given time frame. So get the two more years of mostly A's and see where that gets you. If the GPA is still low, take another year.

Are you a nontrad?

I agree with everything the other posters said but there's just one thing that I would like to add. You mentioned that you will be taking a 16 credit course load, holding a job, and a research position. Just Beware, you do have a lot on your plate and you don't want to overload yourself and you don't want too many W's. Like everyone else getting that GPA up as high as you can should be #1 on your priority list.

I am in the same boat as you.... had a low GPA.....but I got my act together, set my priorities... and I'm acquiring quite a few A's.

I work fulltime, I'm married with a child who's entering kindergarten, volunteer, and this fall I'm taking only 11 credits. I hate to take only 11 but I have to be realistic with my limitations. For example, I’m taking a more difficult course load this semester.

Well, that was my experience.

Good luck and yes it can absolutely be done, just stay very focused.

Thanks guys for all the input. One day at a time.