Do I Have A Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sk8hendrix19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a terrible student in high, simply because I did not care. However, once I graduated I straightened my life out. Unfortunately, I left high school with a GPA of 2.1 and could not get into any universities. I am now attending a respected community college (Ivy Tech in Indiana) and am working towards an AA. Once I receive this, I will then transfer to Indiana University and get a bachelors of...something. I currently have a GPA of 3.8 at Ivy Tech, and will hopefully carry this all the way through my undergraduate studies. I am dedicated to school now. However, will the fact that I had to start off at a community college hurt my chances of Medical School, even if I do great at IU? Please only answer if you personally have gone through this, or know someone who has.

Members don't see this ad.

been there, I got my BSN at a medical college but took all my pre reqs at a CC. they didn't even consider my nursing grades, just undergrad. so don't worry, just get your BS with a good gpa and do the best you can on the mcat. that's it, don't sweat the high school stuff.

Been there, done that.. Terrible student in high school because I didn't care. When I finally pulled my head out I got pretty much straight A's at a community college. Never took the SAT/ACT because the community college didn't need them. Got a nice academic scholarship at a good private college, they didn't care that I didn't take SAT/ACT because I had good grades at the community college. I graduate med school in 4 months, sitting in the upper 1/4 of my class or so... You can absolutely do it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a terrible student in high, simply because I did not care. However, once I graduated I straightened my life out. Unfortunately, I left high school with a GPA of 2.1 and could not get into any universities. I am now attending a respected community college (Ivy Tech in Indiana) and am working towards an AA. Once I receive this, I will then transfer to Indiana University and get a bachelors of...something. I currently have a GPA of 3.8 at Ivy Tech, and will hopefully carry this all the way through my undergraduate studies. I am dedicated to school now. However, will the fact that I had to start off at a community college hurt my chances of Medical School, even if I do great at IU? Please only answer if you personally have gone through this, or know someone who has.

I have an associate's degree from a community college, bachelor's from a 4 year school, and a master's degree. I've been accepted to a formal post-bacc, which I'm starting in June. I can't speak directly to your concern about med school, but I can say that during the post-bacc interview the fact that I'd started at a community college never came up. From that I'm extrapolating that, no, the fact that I started at a community college is less a concern than my overall academic performance and clinical experience.

The way that I see it is the only people that will be able to truly tell you if you have a chance are the ADCOM of what ever medical school that you will apply at. All that we can do here is give you some encouragement and tell you that from what I have read so far that most of the people here have been in the same boat, I myself sucked during high school but that was due to lack of direction. Now I am in the military and going to school holding a great GPA so it is there for the taking with a little effort and a lot of dedication you can have whatever you put forth to accomplish.

JSG