Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mistro4321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
22 PA
21 QR
17 RC
20 BIO
21 GC
25 OC
21 TS
21 AA

3.0 GPA 2.8 Sci GPA-UC. Tons of dental volunteer work (200+ hours).
I really want to go to USC or any Cali schools. What do you guys think?
I know my GPA sucks and I am not too happy with my DAT score. Do I have a shot? Should i retake the test?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have options... Your GPA is low like you said... but I think your DAT scores tells a big story here. Even though your RC score was not as high as the other sections, I wouldnt retake it... pretty much everyone has a hard time with the RC portion of the test. If the rest of your application looks solid... I cant see a reason why not to apply... Ive seen people here get accepted with 3.0s with lower DAT scores.

Good Luck, and in case you dont get in, keep your head up. Don't give up.

The issue is, your DAT is great, but your GPA is low. And calif schools are PRETTY anal about both GPA and DAT. You might not get in to a calif school (just guessing here), but if you apply boardly, to many other out of state schools, you have a much better shot

im actually in a similar boat to you and am going to be taking my DAT soon, but im not sure if i can even get those scores lol

hopefully its enough lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question beside this topic.
isn't TS based on Bio, GC and OC?
Then shouldn't TS be 22 instead of 21?
since it's (20+21+25)/3?????

I've seen so many scores like this.
So confused.

So confused.

No, TS is calculated on your raw score out of 100 total for the sciences and then standardized.

So confused.

Scoring methods are weird. From what I remember off the top of my head, TS is determined by all three of those subjects but it is based off how many questions from the natural sciences you got correct out of all the natural sciences possible. So this score actually has its own scale and it's not as simple as just dividing those three scores out.

So confused.

You and me can not determine TS scores. It is NOT the average of the Bio+Gc+OC sections. Its based on how many right questions you score out of the 100 science questions. I think 92 correct is like TS of 22, 94 is like 23 and so on.

22 PA
21 QR
17 RC
20 BIO
21 GC
25 OC
21 TS
21 AA

3.0 GPA 2.8 Sci GPA-UC. Tons of dental volunteer work (200+ hours).
I really want to go to USC or any Cali schools. What do you guys think?
I know my GPA sucks and I am not too happy with my DAT score. Do I have a shot? Should i retake the test?

Bro, you rocked the DAT pretty hard. In my opinion, its all relative. For example, if you got a C in OChem, obviously that jacked up your GPA... But a 25 OChem on the DAT is like 99% bro, so that says a lot about you and your ability. You get my point?

Put together a strong application, and you got Cali no problem dude. Dont forget schools like Loma Linda and Western, they are great schools as well. Nonetheless, I'm willing to bet USC would take a good look at you, and for what its worth, I think that DAT performance deserves it.

If you don't mind, can you share with us your study strategy and methods/study guides??

I don't want to give you a false hope here. California Schools are pretty damn competitive (even Western, LL, & USC) and your Sci GPA being < 3.0 wouldn't be able to make the first screening.

It's a sad truth, but the admission process nowadays is becoming more of a number game my friend. (Cali schools are the worst) As a matter of fact, I even doubt that DS cares about the "Fit" of applicants for the school (maybe slightly).

Just apply to lots of out-of-state schools. I have seen just too many people didn't get into Cali schools with 3.3-3.4 / 20 AA, even though I seriously think cali schools are 'overrated". haha

just my 2 cents.

I wanted USC initially but that school's been getting a lot of bad heat on SDN lately. I'm not saying it's true or not but beware. I wish I knew who to listen to about it. Evidently students have to basically fight for open chairs amongst other things. For the sake of me moving to LA, I hope it's not true.

Wow thanks for all the responses.

@Avery 07: What's been going on with USC?

@KrnKimsung: Thanks for the input. I'd like to be in Cali but I honestly can say any school that accepts me is good right now lol.

@KevinE: For my study methods I basically followed what everyone suggested on the Pre Dental message boards.

Study Guides include DAT Achiever, DAT Destroyer, CrackDAT Math, Reading Comprehension, and PAT, DAT Achiever, and Cliff's AP Biology.

DAT destroyer is definitely a must have for the Ochem section. The actual test was somewhat similar to DAT Achiever's science and math sections. DAT Achiever's PAT I thought was much more difficult and had much coarser images than the test. CrackDAT PAT is very similar to the DAT's PAT section. Cliff's AP Biology is very helpful also. I didn't think that CrackDat Reading Comprehension was all that great. It was too easy mainly because each test had very similar questions that made it very predictable. Also with all this material you are going to need at least a good month to study because there are so many questions to answer and figure out.

Last edited:
Your best bet is to contact the CA schools (and the OOS schools ur interested in) for cut-offs and ask for some direction. I don't know about CA but for a lot of other schools ur DAT is fine, even with that RC. Perhaps some post bac classes is all you need...