Do I have a chance?

Started by kmh5609
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kmh5609

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! I have a few questions about my current situation. I plan on applying to several pharmacy schools for 2015. A little background about myself. I graduated with a bachelor's in exercise science in 2008 with an overall gpa of 3.5. I took all but one pharmacy prerequisites during that time. My science gpa is 3.3. I worked a year dealing with underprivileged children at a counseling agency. I then went to nuclear medicine school and graduated with a 3.5 gpa. I have worked as a nuclear medicine technologist for over two years now and really feel that pharmacy is my calling. I took the January pcat without studying anything(I haven't studied this material in over six years) and made a 31.

Obviously I need to retake the pcat
Do you think my experience dealing with patients as a nuke med tech helps?
Should I shadow the pharmacy at the hospital I'm employed?
Are older (8 years) prerequisites frowned upon?
Should I play the angle to say I want to be a nuclear pharmacist since I have experience I this field?
Do you know anyone that was a nuke med tech before attending pharmacy school?
Last but not least, baring an improvement in pcat scores, do I have a legitimate shot at getting into school?

Thanks for your input!,
 
Hello everyone! I have a few questions about my current situation. I plan on applying to several pharmacy schools for 2015. A little background about myself. I graduated with a bachelor's in exercise science in 2008 with an overall gpa of 3.5. I took all but one pharmacy prerequisites during that time. My science gpa is 3.3. I worked a year dealing with underprivileged children at a counseling agency. I then went to nuclear medicine school and graduated with a 3.5 gpa. I have worked as a nuclear medicine technologist for over two years now and really feel that pharmacy is my calling. I took the January pcat without studying anything(I haven't studied this material in over six years) and made a 31.

Obviously I need to retake the pcat
Do you think my experience dealing with patients as a nuke med tech helps?
Should I shadow the pharmacy at the hospital I'm employed?
Are older (8 years) prerequisites frowned upon?
Should I play the angle to say I want to be a nuclear pharmacist since I have experience I this field?
Do you know anyone that was a nuke med tech before attending pharmacy school?
Last but not least, baring an improvement in pcat scores, do I have a legitimate shot at getting into school?

Thanks for your input!,

Some school don't require the PCAT
I think you stand higher chance than a person with a 2.8 or 2.5 gpa, no bachelor degree, no work, and no volunteering experience.

I feel that you will write an EXCELLENT personal statement(essay) about your work/volunteering experiences as a motivation for wanting to enroll in the PharmD program.

http://www.mcphs.edu/admission-and-aid/transfer-applicants/how-to-apply/pharmacy-pharmd

according to this pharmacy school, scroll down, 10 years is the unacceptable mark. I think you're still within boundary.

I think your chances are quiet high.
Gluck!
 
Last edited: