Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmh5609

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a few questions about my current situation. I plan on applying to several pharmacy schools for 2015. A little background about myself. I graduated with a bachelor's in exercise science in 2008 with an overall gpa of 3.5. I took all but one pharmacy prerequisites during that time. My science gpa is 3.3. I worked a year dealing with underprivileged children at a counseling agency. I then went to nuclear medicine school and graduated with a 3.5 gpa. I have worked as a nuclear medicine technologist for over two years now and really feel that pharmacy is my calling. I took the January pcat without studying anything(I haven't studied this material in over six years) and made a 31.

Obviously I need to retake the pcat
Do you think my experience dealing with patients as a nuke med tech helps?
Should I shadow the pharmacy at the hospital I'm employed?
Are older (8 years) prerequisites frowned upon?
Should I play the angle to say I want to be a nuclear pharmacist since I have experience I this field?
Do you know anyone that was a nuke med tech before attending pharmacy school?
Last but not least, baring an improvement in pcat scores, do I have a legitimate shot at getting into school?

Thanks for your input!,

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! I have a few questions about my current situation. I plan on applying to several pharmacy schools for 2015. A little background about myself. I graduated with a bachelor's in exercise science in 2008 with an overall gpa of 3.5. I took all but one pharmacy prerequisites during that time. My science gpa is 3.3. I worked a year dealing with underprivileged children at a counseling agency. I then went to nuclear medicine school and graduated with a 3.5 gpa. I have worked as a nuclear medicine technologist for over two years now and really feel that pharmacy is my calling. I took the January pcat without studying anything(I haven't studied this material in over six years) and made a 31.

Obviously I need to retake the pcat
Do you think my experience dealing with patients as a nuke med tech helps?
Should I shadow the pharmacy at the hospital I'm employed?
Are older (8 years) prerequisites frowned upon?
Should I play the angle to say I want to be a nuclear pharmacist since I have experience I this field?
Do you know anyone that was a nuke med tech before attending pharmacy school?
Last but not least, baring an improvement in pcat scores, do I have a legitimate shot at getting into school?

Thanks for your input!,

Some school don't require the PCAT
I think you stand higher chance than a person with a 2.8 or 2.5 gpa, no bachelor degree, no work, and no volunteering experience.

I feel that you will write an EXCELLENT personal statement(essay) about your work/volunteering experiences as a motivation for wanting to enroll in the PharmD program.

http://www.mcphs.edu/admission-and-aid/transfer-applicants/how-to-apply/pharmacy-pharmd

according to this pharmacy school, scroll down, 10 years is the unacceptable mark. I think you're still within boundary.

I think your chances are quiet high.
Gluck!

Last edited: