Is my MD school list realistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! First post here, I am about to submit my primary, a bit later than I wanted to 🙁, and I was wondering if my school list is realistic/good?

I took one gap year (I had my son during my senior year of college). I am a white, Filipino woman, and I am an Oregon resident.

Stats:

cGPA: 3.65

sGPA: 3.44

MCAT: 510 (126/128/126/130)

Major: Double major in Chemistry and History (I went to college in SoCal)

Extracurriculars:

1. Red Cross Blood Drive (150 hours)

2. Red Cross Shelter volunteer (18 hours)

3. Crisis Textline Volunteer (550 hours)


Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant:

5. Basketball Men’s Study Hall Tutor and Study Hall Monitor (80 hours)

6. Tutor for Humanities 111 and 313 (90 hours)

7. Teaching Assistant for Humanities 111 and 313 (95 hours)

Physician Shadowing:

8. Physician Shadowing (10 hours)

Research:

9. Astrophysics Research *(*one poster presentation, 150 hours)

Patient Exposure (paid or community service/volunteer):

10. Westminster Free Clinic (175 hours)

11. OHSU Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Volunteer (125 hours)

12. Dermatology Medical Assistant (450 hours)

Leadership:

13. Debate Executive Board: Civic Debate President, Social Media Chair (250 hours)

14. First-Generation College Student Club President (90 hours)

15. Pre-Med Club Executive Board (150 hours)

School List:

  1. Drexel University College of Medicine (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
  1. Temple University Lewis Katz School of Medicine (Philadelphia)
  1. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
  2. Georgetown University School of Medicine
  3. Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
  4. Rush Medical College
  5. Rosalind Franklin University Chicago Medical School
  6. Albany Medical College
  7. New York Medical College
  8. Quinnipiac University Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine
  9. Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
  10. Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
  11. Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
  12. Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
  13. University of Washington School of Medicine
  14. Boston University School of Medicine
  15. Tufts University School of Medicine
  16. Emory University School of Medicine
  17. Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine
 
Remove U Washington since they admit less than 1% of applicants who are not from Washington or states they have contracts with. Your stats are not competitive for Emory, Tufts, Boston University, Western Michigan and Georgetown. You could add these schools to your list:
Roseman
Alice Walton
TCU
Ponce (St. Louis)
Belmont
Methodist
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Penn State
Jefferson
Vermont
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oregon resident... how did you get so many east coast schools if you went to undergrad in California?
Hi! I dont have the best stats, and I wasnt sure what schools on the west coast would accept me! Also, I have a really service-oriented application, and just doing some reading, it seems like these schools value that? But again, I am not very sure when it comes to all of this and I am basically in the dark. I want at least one MD acceptance and I would be grateful
 
Remove U Washington since they admit less than 1% of applicants who are not from Washington or states they have contracts with. Your stats are not competitive for Emory, Tufts, Boston University, Western Michigan and Georgetown. You could add these schools to your list:
Roseman
Alice Walton
TCU
Ponce (St. Louis)
Belmont
Methodist
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Penn State
Jefferson
Vermont
Thank you! I definitely will remove those ones, even though Georgetown is a dream school for me and I was hoping, foolishly, that maybe all my service hours might help! I honestly just need one acceptance anywhere and I'll be happy
 
If you are understandably determined to get an acceptance this cycle, I would urge you to add a few well-established, well-reputed DO schools to your list. I know of people with better stats than yours (>3.85 GPAs, >516 MCATS) who have wound up with no interviews, let alone acceptances, at MD schools, who were interviewed and accepted at DO schools. You would surely get some DO acceptances. Of course, if you get an MD acceptance, you'd take it, but better to start at DO school next fall than to have to apply again.