Do I have a shot?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stratos19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for the advice/suggestions!
Personal Stuff:
Asian, currently first-year grad student, applying this cycle (summer 2016)
Grad School:
MPH-Epidemiology, 4.0 GPA, UT School of Public Health, small scholarships recipient.
Undergrad:
Major: Biology, Minor: Business Administration, 4.0 cumulative GPA, Highest Honors (Honors College), Public University in Texas, full ride scholarship and various smaller scholarships.
MCAT(2015): 510 total, 129 Chem/Phys, 127 CARS, 128 Bio/Biochem, 126 Psych/Soc

Related Experience:
~800 hours volunteering at a local hospital
Currently shadowing various physicians in Emergency Medicine, will try to shadow a neurologist next month. ~30 Hours done so far.
Tons of research experience: research assistant (nanoscience), published and presented (nanoscience), laboratory assistant (marine biology), honors thesis (literature and psychology), data collector for state wide research program (public health), will soon start cervical cancer public health research. Presented at 2 national conferences, and 1 international symposium.

Extra Curriculars:
Student Government Association (VP)
Worked as a biology and chemistry tutor on campus (3 years).
Premedical Mentor and Recruiter for premed programs on campus.
Graduate Student Association
Honors Student Association
AMSA
other small things

School List:
Reach Schools- Stanford, Columbia, Harvard, UPenn
In State Schools: UT Southwestern, Baylor College of Medicine, UTHealth McGovern (Houston), UTMB

Thank again!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You're a good candidate for the schools in your state.

That MCAT isnt going to work for any of these OOS schools you are thinking of and frankly there's no point in applying OOS for you. Use Baylor and UTSW as your reaches.

Reactions: 1 users
You're a good candidate for the schools in your state.

That MCAT isnt going to work for any of these OOS schools you are thinking of and frankly there's no point in applying OOS for you. Use Baylor and UTSW as your reaches.
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely keep it in mind :)

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 510 applying to your reach schools would be a waste. Honestly your best chances are in state. Apply to all the Texas schools and maybe 4-5 OOS just for fun, but be realistic. Most people from Texas who go OOS are super star applicants.

With a 510 applying to your reach schools would be a waste. Honestly your best chances are in state. Apply to all the Texas schools and maybe 4-5 OOS just for fun, but be realistic. Most people from Texas who go OOS are super star applicants.
If I were to apply out of state, which schools would you suggest?

Also thanks everyone for the advice! It's good to be realistic haha!

If I were to apply out of state, which schools would you suggest?

Also thanks everyone for the advice! It's good to be realistic haha!

You'd probably have a decent to strong shot at many of the mid-tier private schools. Look at places like SLU, Rush, Tulane, Creighton, Drexel, etc. Goro and others can give you a better list of them than I can.

Reactions: 1 user