Do I have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zmant06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior at the University of South Florida. I initially attended the school because I was accepted to the 7 year accelerated program, however, due to a rough freshman year (joined a fraternity and worked out with the baseball team) I was no longer eligible to be in the program. I have a 3.55 as of right now, but my math/science GPA is only a 3.33. My extra curricular activities are decent. I am the president and founder of the Baseball Club, work 20 hours a week as a valet, had a job in a gastroenterology office, captain of two intramural sports teams, over 100 hours volunteering and 50 hours shadowing. I'm worried about my math/science GPA being too low. Do I have a realistic shot of getting in if I get around a 30 on the MCAT? Also, I just received my first C ever in Orgo 2. Should I retake it?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm worried about my math/science GPA being too low. Do I have a realistic shot of getting in if I get around a 30 on the MCAT? Also, I just received my first C ever in Orgo 2. Should I retake it?

I'd be worried too considering how admissions are getting more and more competitive. When you have a lower-than-the-mean GPA, it's considered a good idea to compensate for it with a higher MCAT score than a 30. A low science GPA may be viewed as indicating that you'd be less likely to succeed in the science-intense environment of med school, but you can fix that perception by taking upper-level science classes and getting a string of As. Many would suggest that you need to repeat Orgo II. Others would suggest you take Biochem instead and ace it. For you, it's probably most important to know how your favored med schools will view the situation.

I am currently a junior at the University of South Florida. I initially attended the school because I was accepted to the 7 year accelerated program, however, due to a rough freshman year (joined a fraternity and worked out with the baseball team) I was no longer eligible to be in the program. I have a 3.55 as of right now, but my math/science GPA is only a 3.33.

is the program you are referring to a joint BS/MD program?

you may have to work really hard to turn your record around. your gpa numbers are slightly sub-par for all applicants-- and considerably lower in relation to accepted applicants.

my advice is to just ace upper division classes.