Do I have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mirage90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So I need some advice in regards to what I can do to improve my application and basically at this point, I'm just questioning if I even have a shot at applying in June. I'm currently a junior and haven't taken the MCAT. Sorry this post is super long...just really wanted to give nearly all of the details that I could to see if I have a shot.

Here's the details:
Overall GPA: 3.654 (Molecullar and Cell Bio major (honors program) with minors in Chem and Business)--Graduating in May 2012

AMCAS BCPM: 3.578

Planning on taking the MCAT in this May.

I attend a top 50 nationally recognized school (don't know how much that really weighs in...but thought I'd throw that in)

-I've been researching in a lab since Summer 2010 (so it's my 3rd semester now)--Don't see any publications in the future, but I may graduate with a thesis.

- I've also worked in a Psych Lab over a summer researching infant cognition. I plan on doing this along with my bio research this summer.

-I've had a steady job (~1.5 years) working as an usher at the concert hall at my school.

-I have volunteered at a hospital in town for ~70 hours. I recently switched to a different hospital in town because it's a lot closer to where I live now. I plan on volunteering over the summer also and hope to accumulate about 60 hours at this new hospital by the time of my application.

-Shadowed only for about 20 hours so far. I know this is a weak point.

-I have done a study abroad to Peru over winter break (during my soph year) to understand development in the Peruvian society. During most of my trip, I went to local communities in the Andes and helped build clean air burning stoves and clay water filters. I also had the opportunity to visit families in a particular community and discuss the benefits they had recieved from the new water filters that were donated by the NGO I worked with. For our final project in class, I shadowed two doctors (one community doctor and a private practice doctor) and wrote a paper and made a presentation on the differences in healthcare for those that depend on the governement healthcare versus those that can afford private healthcare. I have lot to say about my experience in Peru (as you can see!). This experience basically solidified my desire to become a doctor. Before this experience, I had no idea if being a physician was my calling.

-I am currently the treasurer of a biology group on campus. I am also an active member in a pre-medicine frat/club. I volunteer on a weekly basis at a women in transition center (this will be my third semester). I have been a peer advisor for biology undergrads for two semesters now (will be continuing it this semester also). I also am a part of a prestigious study abroad scholarship committee. I was also part of a group on campus that put on fun social events for college students on friday nights as an alternative to drinking.

-I have been on scholarship nearly all three years of college. It's a prestigious scholarship that I have had to apply for each year and I have had my tuition paid for completely. I have also won study abroad scholarships. I have been on the Dean's List for about 3 semesters now. I had a really rough first semester Junior year (I know...it's kinnda late to have a bad slump) because I took rigorous classes that I thought I could handle alongwith working in a lab for ~20 hours a week and keeping up with my EC's. It basically went in a completely different direction than anticipated. Don't think there's any excuse in the world to really explain why I did bad. It was merely poor time management on my part.

Sorry for all of this writing. I just really want a clear view on where I stand in your opinion. Feedback of ANY sort would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Forgot to mention: Not planning on applying to any top tier schools here. Just wondering if I even have a shot at MD anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How bad was your GPA slump? What classes brought you down? Is a near-straight A GPA this semester a likelihood?

When did you plan to submit your application?

Are you not planning to add to your clinical experience this semester (keeping in mind that about 150 hours is the average listed)? What is the plan for augmenting the shadowing?

How bad was your GPA slump? What classes brought you down? Is a near-straight A GPA this semester a likelihood?

When did you plan to submit your application?

Are you not planning to add to your clinical experience this semester (keeping in mind that about 150 hours is the average listed)? What is the plan for augmenting the shadowing?

Hi Catalystik,

I was hoping you'd reply! It wasn't terrible--no C's. I got 1 B and mostly B+'s or A-'s. I only got 1 A last semester. The class with the B was Physics 2. I got a B+ in Biochem and another B+ in Anat/Phys. I started out strong, but for due to spreading myself out too thin didn't finish the semester on a strong note. Yes, this semester I'm definitely shooting for straight A's and it seems possible.

I was hoping to submit in my app around June-early July. I will be taking my MCAT on May 20. Also, I will be shadowing doctors throughout this semester as well as over the summer (not sure how many hours I will accumulate...but I'm shooting for about 50-60 hrs.)

With a 3.65+ cGPA (close to average for those accepted to MD schools), looking at past AAMC data for those applying with varying cGPA and MCAT combos, we can extrapolate that with a MCAT of 29 applicants had a ~43% chance of an acceptance, with a 32 a ~63% chance, and with a 35 a ~72% chance. Factors that tend to put one on the plus side of the figures cited would be strong ECs, well-written Personal Statement, supportive LORs, and good interview skills, along with an early application.